Cardboard bee hive template

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQPQj_UhmMk[/ame]

My OH started making a balsa wood model but didnt finish it due to having to build a real hive instead :)

do we also need a suitably dressed Action Man who shouts rude words when he gets stung?

The important thing is not so much dealing with the theory of the articifial swarm, as dealing with what you see when you open up the hive! Last year we knew exactly what we intended to do - but the bees had other ideas - ie the queen that I had easily found at every previous inspection refused to be found! You can never be ready for everything, but don't be so determined in what you have planned, that you don't have the equipment ready to change plan, or to decide to abandon the whole thing!

The important thing is not so much dealing with the theory of the articifial swarm, as dealing with what you see when you open up the hive! Last year we knew exactly what we intended to do - but the bees had other ideas - ie the queen that I had easily found at every previous inspection refused to be found! You can never be ready for everything, but don't be so determined in what you have planned, that you don't have the equipment ready to change plan, or to decide to abandon the whole thing!

Holy moly.....If an aunt has balls, she is an uncle.

In many cases like mine, a clipped queen has tried to swarm and is then dead.
Then you take queen cell to the swarm.
Important is that the bees get feeling that they have swarmed.

Abandon the whole thing? - That is a good advice.

The important thing is not so much dealing with the theory of the articifial swarm, as dealing with what you see when you open up the hive! Last year we knew exactly what we intended to do - but the bees had other ideas - ie the queen that I had easily found at every previous inspection refused to be found!

When doing a "move the whole hive to one side and let the flying bees set up a new home on the old site" artificial swarm - its easiest to find the queen after the flying bees have left!
Move a couple of frames across into the 'new hive - making sure that if the Q is on there, you know it AND that there are NO QCs on those frames.
Give it half an hour, and aided by the thinning of the crowd and the big gap between checked and unchecked frames, you should find her fairly easily.
Transfer her.
Make sure you have only the QCs that you plan for in the moved hive, and only then, just before closing up, add the extra frames of foundation to fill the box.
"God is in the Details" as Mies van der Rohe famously said. (He also said "Less is More" - but that one doesn't really apply to bees!)

I have a beekeeper friend who very seldom find a queen.
But he is able to pick swarms from bushes. If a swarm is on tree top, it is there a while.

.So we started for her a program
- I clip the queen wing in spring
- then we watch queen cells and make AS together.

Problem is that she is not able to lift heavy boxes.
When an Italian hive starts to swarm, it has 4-5 boxes.

Finally if you do not put bees to draw foundations, they often continue their swarming fever.

Another story is to stop the swarming of brood hive. Mostly emerged virgin break another cells but perhaps in 20% cases it does not.
Excluder stops their escaping.

I managed to get this sent over from USA. They don't post direct so had to get a relative to buy it and send it. The total cost including the postage was just over £100. Slightly cheaper than T****s. It is 11'' high, 8'' wide, 10'' long. Ideal for teaching and will make an open mesh floor, queen excluder etc.

Back