Can of worms here.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a side note, I was told "apha" is close to "anus" in german. Can anyone confirm this?

I haven't noticed one close to my anus but maybe that's because I am not German!
E

The "anti" comes almost entirely from the "other" subspecies. Your own willingness to accept the preferences of others is not common in my experience.
The entire purpose of the questionnaire is to remove that choice from others.

What is common, in my experience, is the knee jerk reaction from these others whenever and wherever Amm is mentioned.

And the time taken for you to repeatedly state this (or similar) has become a constant measured in milleseconds.
Anus translates as Anus in German and APHA to APHA to answer mbc
I prefer Arschloch

Last edited:
What is common, in my experience, is the knee jerk reaction from these others whenever and wherever Amm is mentioned.

And is this thread a knee jerk ?
There's a lot of nonsense talked about the native bee "advantage" , a lot of misuse of an inadequate study that "suggested" an advantage to local bees and a lot of extremely negative and false talk about other races. I've certainly never heard a buckfast Beekeeper complaining how his breeding efforts are ruined by those keeping local mongrels or Amm, but constant moans from Amm keepers..
In Ireland the Buckfast Facebook group is a secret group because of the animosity shown. My own local association will simply make it known you are not welcome unless you have their bees and since they have long held influence over the Welsh association, the national attitude is the same. There has simply been a long well organised propaganda campaign both for Amm and against all others.
Now we have a questionnaire aimed at guiding future policy targeting a decade of new Beekeepers who've only ever been sold this party line by national associations asked to judge if future policy should mean native or near native bees only.
Far from a knee jerk, I think the rest of us have been a bit slow putting the records straight. I'm shocked the BFA put their name to this survey as it certainly bares no resemblance to the beliefs and practices of its members (if the figures I've seen on those keeping Amm are anything to go by).

Last edited:
If imports and non native bees are your preference, fine, crack on.

Yeah but for how much longer??

Heading towards a ban on imports and native queens can only be sold by individuals holding the BBKA breeders certificate IMHO

Yeah but for how much longer??

Heading towards a ban on imports and native queens can only be sold by individuals holding the BBKA breeders certificate IMHO

God help us. As if having to keep the garbage local bee wouldn't be a big enough setback. I'd rather pick my queen breeder by reputation than by qualification.

I haven't noticed one close to my anus but maybe that's because I am not German!
E

Perhaps they meant the ring called Alpha that's closest to Uranus.

well constructed survey, you can complete it more than once ! Can see some avid fanatics little fingers working all night to get the results they want.
S

Last edited:
I got the Email from them..what is the point in such cyber questioners .. i do not have any experience in Queen rearing or breeding but i have a rough idea and i cold lie to my back teeth when filling that questioner sheet in.. surely it can hold no ground.

Thats a joke!
I was on the pilot and the main criteria seems to be that you rear mongrels.

I'm definitely not laughing! Imported queens in the last few years and I get the distinct impression the authorities wished I hadn't. Sooner more beeks follow your lead the better, I just wonder where the quality genetic material is going to come from?

Shhhhhh.......only filled in 10 so far.:spy:

I wonder why that does not surprise some of us ...

Did you know that you can also wangle it so that you have lots of different names registered on here ? One could even have their own thread and answer one's owns questions if you put your mind to it ...

I'm definitely not laughing! Imported queens in the last few years and I get the distinct impression the authorities wished I hadn't. Sooner more beeks follow your lead the better, I just wonder where the quality genetic material is going to come from?

I haven't had any problems. I was re-certified by the NBU for DASH last year. I make sure all my documentation is in order and properly filed (any imports come through TRACES and I send copies of all the health certificates to APHA).
The only odd thing I saw recently, which was a bit of bureaucracy really, was when I received the report on my DASH recertification was that they asked me to keep a record of all my negative disease checks. Its stupid really because disease monitoring is part of what I do at every inspection. By definition, if I note none on the record card, that's a negative result. As I've said before, I use a German program called "Zucht Buch" for all my stock records so I can easily answer any question they may have. Of course, it's all transferred to BeeBreed at the end of the year too.

I haven't had any problems. I was re-certified by the NBU for DASH last year. I make sure all my documentation is in order and properly filed (any imports come through TRACES and I send copies of all the health certificates to APHA).
The only odd thing I saw recently, which was a bit of bureaucracy really, was when I received the report on my DASH recertification was that they asked me to keep a record of all my negative disease checks. Its stupid really because disease monitoring is part of what I do at every inspection. By definition, if I note none on the record card, that's a negative result. As I've said before, I use a German program called "Zucht Buch" for all my stock records so I can easily answer any question they may have. Of course, it's all transferred to BeeBreed at the end of the year too.

You are under control. They will come and burn your hives. Why else they are interested about your hives? Who heck has time to look after those data and why?

Last edited:
Who heck has time to look after those data and why?

Who knows? German levels of bureaucracy with sub-saharan levels of efficiency. This is why England ranks below hell in the happiest places to live and Finland is number 1!

Latest posts

Back