can i attract a swarm to my empty hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dye29

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
hey all as above can i attract a swarm to my empty hive ive been told both yes and no so which is it and if its yes whats the best method please thank you

hey all as above can i attract a swarm to my empty hive ive been told both yes and no so which is it and if its yes whats the best method please thank you

Yes, of course you can create a bait hive, but best with old used gear. No reason not to, shot to nothing. Worth trying with new but try and season everything with some wax. I think the key is old comb which may be a prob for you?

A) Use the oldest gear you have. close the entrance down to about 1/4 and half height.
B) put in 3 or 4 drawn old manky frames, position centrally, leave the rest of the hive empty
C) if you have any old crushed comb or trimmings, sprinkle it on the floor (from my observation, giving them stuff to clear out bonds them to the site)
D) ideally use a really old solid floor
E) south facing, sunny spot
D) Old single piece plywood inner top plate.

I bait in the garden, then move to the apiary 2.5 miles away. I have had no success baiting in my apiary. I don’t keep bees in my garden. Has never failed year on year. Started baiting this year Tues of last week. 3 swarms so far. Will need to stop when I get 4. As soon as you get one switch it out to fresh foundation - a full set. Onto a mesh floor and move to your apiary. Before a troll try’s to diss this advice, no, I am aware of no other beekeepers in the village / bee radius proximity and it isn’t my own girls swarming.

Last edited:
The answer would be yes. However, the best method would be to use old empty brood comb, as you are new you would have to beg from other beekeepers. Another method, although I haven't tried them are the swarm attractant wipes. There are swarm lures pheremones in vials and lemon grass oil.

ah right well today i had some frames that i spun honey from and left outside to let bees and other things clean the last off and there must have been 200 bees around them so i placed the frames in a nuc box but checked tonight and theres nothing in box did i do wrong

ah right well today i had some frames that i spun honey from and left outside to let bees and other things clean the last off and there must have been 200 bees around them so i placed the frames in a nuc box but checked tonight and theres nothing in box did i do wrong

Never leave frames outside, biosecurity. Those frames still have a honey residue on them and only attract robbing

You’ve done nothing wrong in bait terms but could prob improve your chances. Shot to nothing. Depending on the nuc box size, it may be too small as a bait hive. The fact you have drawn comb is your biggest bait asset. Don’t overload the bait hive, leave lots of free space.

Dear god.....ok dont place empty frames out for the bees to clean, the bees you had there are robbers/foragers attracted by the honey not scout bees looking for a residence

Oh dear my bad so the same frames i best putting in nuc box then put south facing , any tips on how high or where like near rape feilds or just grass feilds ect

Oh dear my bad so the same frames i best putting in nuc box then put south facing , any tips on how high or where like near rape feilds or just grass feilds ect

For a good sized swarm you need a hive, ideal is 40 litres, a nuc box would only attract a small cast swarm, placed above head height and a solid floor not mesh, facing south.

Well i do have a empty hive do i just put my brood box out there instead of nuc and put in some used frames and a little bit of lemongrass oil

Well i do have a empty hive do i just put my brood box out there instead of nuc and put in some used frames and a little bit of lemongrass oil

Yes to brood box, as long as your used frames don't have any honey residue and lemongrass oil, but there is no guarantee that it will attract a swarm, it is just a waiting game.

Dye, can I refer you to my first post. The only addition is that I have tried lemongrass but at best it is inconclusive with regard improved performance. I guess it can’t do any harm?

Lemongrass oil is both an attractant and a repellant. Too much will repel. Literally one or two drops on a cotton bud and the put the bud inside a small plastic bag sealed but with a few pin prick holes in it, and stick it / pin it to the rear wall of the bait hive. Should be good for a few weeks.

Back