Bursting with bees!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torq

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 Hives, 4 Nucs.
Hi Guys,
for the first season ever my bees are filling National brood boxes, usually they struggle to do 7 frames. They are still pumping out brood at a massive rate and there is loads of pollen (green last week, yellow this week) coming in so there's no sign of them slowing down.

These boxes are new colonies that came from splits and are headed by this years queens and don't have supers. I'm concerned that they will run out of space and am unsure what to do.

Is it too late in the year for brood and a half. Should I be pulling out the end frames of stores and giving them space to work, and putting the frames back when needed? Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated
TIA
Torq

As for adding a new super to go brood and a half I think it is too later but you could always whack a super on and let the bees decide. If there is brood I would take none of the frames away. This year is all but finished save for ivy which should be left as a winter feed. Consider varroa treatment and Wrap your hives in bubble wrap or do a derekm bonnett.

Put a super on the top over a QE, if they put anything in it, put it under the bb for the winter. Unless they fill it and then extract it!
You can't lose really! The bees will know if they need it, but if it isn't there they don't have the option!
E

Yep, as Enrico. If they have sufficient bees and there is a late flow, nothing to lose. You may only end up with a few frames mostly drawn, ready for next year) and the bees well-fed for the winter, but that is better than a late swarm!

If the hive is full of brood and stores, by all means remove some of the stores (even temporarily).

Thanks guys!

I think I'll stick a super on each tomorrow when it's supposed to be 19deg! But I'll pack them out to 4 frames with kingspan so that they concentrate their efforts on a smaller area and without the heat loss of a full super.

I guestimate the 4 super frames will approximate to adding an extra 2 brood frames and if they fill them with stores I'll put them under the super as suggested, leaving the insulation in too for a cosy winter floor.

Latest posts

Back