Burr comb - should I get a super on now

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackstraw

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Two healthy brood boxes have gone through the winter. The boxes are still reasonably heavy when hefting – obviously some stores/syrup still in there. I was away for the last couple of weeks so left them with an eke and a block of candy. Better they have some and don’t use it than need it and not have it.

Looking through the glass crownboard I can see that they have not touched the candy but both colonies are gradually filling the eke with burr comb.

Yesterday I noticed that they are also starting to bring in some pollen.

I have a wet super poised ready to go back on but was going to leave this until I open them up in April. My target is to end up with a brood and a half for each colony.

My question is should I lose the block of candy and the brace comb as soon as possible, even if it is a little cold and get a super but no queen excluder on now or delay for a bit

Logic tells me that they are building burr comb because they want more room – hopefully because the queen is laying ready for rape coming out in 3/4 weeks time - in which case I would really like to give her as much room as she needs, the trade-off is that the colony is going to get cold, albeit briefly

No, they are building comb because they have some empty space above them.
And they have food, perhaps your fondant, perhaps their stores. And it perhaps indicates that your hive is nice and warm.

No, don't put a super on until you have brood on (at the very least) 6 (some would say 8) frames.
The super is for storing the nectar they are bringing in.
And, as of now, mid-Feb, they aren't going to be bringing in much.

ADDED
If they don't need fondant, don't give it to them!
I'd suggest getting the eke off, as long as the hives are still heavy with stores.

Last edited:
You sure about this?

I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't be likely to be bringing in so much nectar as to need supering already.

My lot are bringing in masses of pollen ... and using the water provided.

But if you are saying it is now LATE Feb, then OK ... but I'm actually years, not weeks behind the times!

And i am pretty sure that it's not mid Feb round here, it will be the first of March here on Saturday.

Edit... ok

A super is a big jolt in temperature... you effectively make the brood area about 3C cooler ,which the bees have to make up somehow. The burr comb in the top is going to be warmest part of your hive. There could be other reason for the build up there.

you need to let the bees get on with expanding the brood nest and only super when that's on 8+ frames. plus plenty of bees.

unless flow due locally and you'll be away!

Leave em alone till it's time.

Very little nectar around at the moment. They will need the food later on, you'll notice the weight start to change. Poking around now will only cool them and destroy any early brood.

Latest posts

Back