Burco boiler for rendering wax

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEG

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15+-some
After getting a burco boiler for free, I finally got round to sorting out all my wax cappings and bits of wax. First thing I did wrong was to put all the wax into a pillow case then weighted it down in the boiler. The wax melted inside the pillow case but couldnt get out. I had to cut the pillow case to let the molten wax out.
Next go I used some old net curtains and it worked a treat all the crud kept inside the net. Ended up with loads of clean wax to trade in.

Old nylon tights or a hessian sack do the job too. Never had net curtains ;). We need to do wax pronto too.

got the net curtains for free as well lol

Only if you have hard water peeps. If you are in a soft water area there is no need to add anything.

Just try and minimize the time the wax is molten to keep the colour as near to white as poss, though having seen some of the rubbish that is traded in, the foundation guys ain't too bothered it seems.

PH

And what did you put in the water so that the wax did not get ruined?

Not sure about OP but when we have any water at all it's soft spring water with no chlorine....keeps the tropical fish and the wax happy.

For info folks wax + hard water = soapy wax

Didn't put anything in the water as we dont have hard water. Wax has come out a lovely colour.

Or live in Wigan where the water is soft and acidic :D
VM
And tastes awful.
Ever since I moved up here I just cant drink the water;visiting my mother for a few days in Hertfordshire and her tap water is lovely.
My daughter's in London tastes like a swimming pool...
PS the Avatar's :cool::cool:

Latest posts

Back