Bumble Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugsInABox

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
TBH
Number of Hives
About a dozen bumble bees hovering around one of my hives this morning. Mostly under the open mesh floor and a bit around the front; I didn’t see any trying to gain entrance but they do definitely seem to be targeting one hive in particular. The colony is pretty strong I think - though I’ve taken a split and subsequently was still forced to take an AS off it.
Do bumble bees rob. I’ve reduced the entrance a bit and checked floor is bee tight. Given, I assume, fairly small numbers in a bumble bee colony I’m tempted to just let them get on with it. Any other suggestions as to what might be going on.

I'm gutted that you didn't get an answer as I've come here with the same question. I saw several red and black bumblebees around one of my hives today. There are absolutely loads of wildflowers and other forage about so I don't know why they would be trying to rob? Thanks in advance to anybody who can give a clue as to what this means

I find bumblebees hanging around my hives too. I think it's just the scent of all the nectar/honey that attracts some of them. You do occasionally get a stupid one trying it's luck and going inside but the bees quickly see them off. They're not a robbing threat.

We’ve got two bumblebee nests in the garden and they’re often on the floor under the hives and loitering with intent. They do try and get in from time to time but generally get chased out quick.

Bumblebee nests (two) in my small garden shed have been busy, both have emerging VQ's and Drones leaving this morning. Most VQ's up & down the glass trying to get out, so left the door a jar. I was first drawn to the fact of possibly them leaving by seeing a huge VQ climbing my now gone over Jasmine, counted about 18 VQ's of what looks like two species of Buff/White tails.

The two nests still producing more VQ's another dozen or so today let out of the shed.

Latest posts

Back