Bumble bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busybee53

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
none now
I had a phone call asking about bees under the eaves of the callers house. They had found 3 dead ones in the bedroom and were concerned about bees flying to and fro. When I explained that they would not do any harm and would be gone come autumn and how we need to protect pollinators the caller said thanks and told me she was reassured.

Later on I heard that they had paid £50 to have the bees gassed and that the person who did it had also done the same job for 14 other people in the last day or two.

So sad.

Yes I spoke to a lady who was concerned that the bumble bees were too close to her washing line, and managed to persuade her to leave them be, I hope!

The only vaguely good thing is they didn't charge £200 as in another thread.

Yes I spoke to a lady who was concerned that the bumble bees were too close to her washing line, and managed to persuade her to leave them be, I hope!

The only vaguely good thing is they didn't charge £200 as in another thread.

Actually, I'd rather it were prohibitively expensive to help deter people from doing it.

Once I asked, how much is if I set up my car valves?
- It is 50 euros.

I asked from next car man, and he sayd that my car model has self setting valves.

Once I asked, how much is if I set up my car valves?
- It is 50 euros.

I asked from next car man, and he sayd that my car model has self setting valves.

They should get more than one quote for anything but Brits are a strange lot in that respect. They either can't be bothered or don't wish to offend?

BB53 was the guy a licensed PC, if not report to TS, EH etc. Still do it if he's "gassing" willie nillie and leaving destroyed/poisened nests to be scavenged by other insects.

Good point. Never thought about what would happen after.

I'm somehow on the phone list - must have been a few years ago when I naively thought people would be calling constantly with pleas to remove honey-bee swarms. There's probably someone in the queue in front of me who gets all of those, cos all I seem to see is wasps and bumblebee nests.
:hairpull:

Last week a bumblebee nest (identified by the complainant as honey bees...) in a garage. Probably 40 miles in round trips investigating then removing the nest from his garage. He offered not a penny in reward, nor a drink, nor anything - but I didn't want the bumblebees to suffer (rehoused them in a nesting box nearer home).

Any views on charging for such services, esp where it's not the eagerly anticipated???

Since it is acceptable to charge expenses when removing honeybees I think it is reasonable to do the same when removing bumbles. In both cases the public would be getting their unwanted bees removed.

The problem would be if the caller was not prepared to pay and decided to find a cheaper alternative - which might involve a DIY way of killing the bees. It seems there is a cost involved if they get someone else to kill them. By charging expenses it may work out cheaper than getting a guy in to kill the bees.

Friend of mine asks a bunch of questions and charges £30 for honeybees and £50 if he gets there and finds out the complainant has been 'embellishing' the story and its bumblebees.

We have got a nest of bumble bees at the top of our bay window and we find ourselves watching the bees antics rather than the tely lol

Latest posts

Back