Building nucs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herefordshirehoney

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
3 poly langstroths
I've recently added another langstroth brood box with undrawn foundation to my strongest colony. Hopefully they will draw this out quickly if they get a flow of OSR. I hope to inspect this this weekend to see where they have got too.

I have ordered 4 new queens for tail end of July/start of August. I intend on replacing the existing two queens for the end of the season then.

The reason for the post is to ask which way to proceed

- Let the colony build up strong once brood on 8 frames on new box do an AS to produce emergency queen. Then when the queens arrive make up 4 nucs from colonies killing the emergency queen. I intend on recombining to make the numbers into 4 if I have 6 for a while that's fine, as I dont want to kill off the existing queens till I know the nucs are producing BIAS.

- Just let the colony get on with it, they are ged's buckfast queens so hope they do what he's bred them for and create the nucs up when the queens are due to be delivered.

or another option?

It would be nice to take a honey harvest from this hive as it already has 2 supers on one full.

As this is my first time i'm not sure on the best options, I do realise there's more than one way of doing this with lots of variations. I want something that is easy as possible ideally. Hopefully that makes sense.....

Why bother going through the emergency queen scenario, you're just making work for yourself and could cause more complications (no queen, new queen, no queen, stranger!).
When the new queens arrive, make up some nucs with BIAS,stores, emy drawn comb and loads of young bees, wait a few hours then put in queen in cage with masking tape over the candy, wait a couple of days, remove the tape and let them get on with it.

Did this last year and got a decent harvest.

Why bother going through the emergency queen scenario, you're just making work for yourself and could cause more complications (no queen, new queen, no queen, stranger!).
When the new queens arrive, make up some nucs with BIAS,stores, emy drawn comb and loads of young bees, wait a few hours then put in queen in cage with masking tape over the candy, wait a couple of days, remove the tape and let them get on with it.

Did this last year and got a decent harvest.

Will have a bit of ajob to make up 4 new nucs using brood frames taken from the two existing hives? Don't think it will work frankly.

Will have a bit of ajob to make up 4 new nucs using brood frames taken from the two existing hives? Don't think it will work frankly.

Why not ? Isn't it reasonable for a nuc to be 3 frames of brood and stores, with the remainder as fresh foundation, or drawn comb??

I think it will

I intend on replacing the existing two queens

Suggesting two hives, one on double brood, I suggest you need eight frames BIAS to make up four nucs with, ideally stores and drawn comb - failing that foundation and feeding.
I'd have said ample scope for making up four nucs. especially as it seems the existing queens are destined to be squished and colonies united by the autumn

That was my thoughts I should get 8 frames of bias from the double brood box with the also have two frames of stores already that I took off early season.

For me the hardest part is knowing how many bees they need to get established I'm going to try and get as mug drawn comb from my existing colonies and store ready as brood emerges and old frames get replaced

For me the hardest part is knowing how many bees they need to get established

If you have supers on, three or four frames shaken in to the nuc (mostly young bees on there, failing that the same from the brood - the flyers will soon go back and they will make up any shortfall of nurse bees until more emerge

Problem is that 4 nucs demand much bee and brood frames that you get the nucs to start.

Second problem is that it ruins the best hive. but if you get swarms to strenghten the nucs.

Problem is that 4 nucs demand much bee and brood frames that you get the nucs to start.

Second problem is that it ruins the best hive. but if you get swarms to strenghten the nucs.

Quite. Get yourself on the swarm list for HBKA if you are a member and combine your swarms and requeen if you must late summer. Last year they were totally snowed under - there are a few big Carni outfits around and they seem to swarm a lot.

I wonder how many beekeepers will try for increase this year over anything else...

Latest posts

Back