Building comb?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattjames74

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hello all,

I've just checked one of my hives and it appears they are started building some comb where the block of fondent was?

Does this indicate anything? Thanks!

20240409_182701.jpg

Hello all,

I've just checked one of my hives and it appears they are started building some comb where the block of fondent was?

View attachment 39483
That they need space to store the rest of the fondant - you may find that they have lots of stores in the brood nest and very little space for the queen to lay. Have you been feeding them all winter ?

Hello all,

View attachment 39483
It inficates that bees make com.

If you leave a gap in a hive, a missing frame, bees start to ma that dize comb.
If they are not able to make wax, they move old wax from some where else..

Hello all,

View attachment 39483
A trivial bit of drone comb, but in a few weeks/month (depending on xyz) the entire space will become a mess - but you'll have added space by then :)

All good.

Hello all,

View attachment 39483
If the fondant hole was above the brood nest then they will be expanding the nest upwards. Same here, even had eggs.

A trivial bit of drone comb, but in a few weeks/month (depending on xyz) the entire space will become a mess - but you'll have added space by then :)

All good.

Now it becomes too much imagination around this small thumb size piece of extra wax. This has no meaning in the hive of 50 frames hive. Only waste of time this kind of älä mölö.

Finman has been loitering around for quite a while now , did you not notice him last year ?

I remember our former RBI at a spring beekeeping auction, after seeing 'clean' drawn comb being offered for sale telling the organisers that unless it was withdrawn she would build a bonfire with it in the carpark!

Latest posts

Back