buckspinfasts?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acabee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
At the risk of starting a 'which bee is best' type thread (which is not my intention), I notice several posters referring to 'buckspinfasts'

Is this a term of endearment or criticism at the number of claims being made by breeders who are wanting to cash in some way?

I ask so I can interpret these posts better and disentangle from any webs spun....

Thanks!

acabee

Do you mean buckspinfasts or do you mean Buckfasts?

Thanks acabee.
I'd really like to know the answer to this one as well - I've seen several refs that don't seem to mean buckfasts.

Buckfast Abbey has a terrible rep for being greedy. Locally known as "Fastbuck Abbey"

Possibly the spin epithet is aimed at greedy breeders? Not sure on that one but have suspicions.

PH

I do not think it was me who coined the phrase............

All types of bees have their advantages and disadvantages.

The "BUCKFAST" was a mix of many types interbred to produce a better bee, by Brother Adam a German monk in Buckfast Abbey in Devon back in the last century.

although many will claim that they have successfully retained all the attributes of BA's bee.. I PERSONALLY DOUBT IT!..... THEY HAVE PROBABLY IMPROVED IT!!!

BUCKFAST ? is that a registered name in the USA?

hope this don't go and get me banned!

Buckfast Abbey has a terrible rep for being greedy. Locally known as "Fastbuck Abbey"

Possibly the spin epithet is aimed at greedy breeders? Not sure on that one but have suspicions.

PH

the lady beekeeperer there is loverly!
not so sure about the cost of a coffee in the gift shop cafe tho !

the lady beekeeperer there is loverly!
not so sure about the cost of a coffee in the gift shop cafe tho !

Forget the coffee, next time your there ask for a bottle of their "Brew", well known in Glasgow as bottle of Bucky.

Ah yes Bucky and when the local authorities asked Fastbuck to stop selling it up there they got rather short shift...

PH

We go to Buckfast every week to help on the Community Apiary their Education Department set up. As we have been on teh course we attend free of charge - yes, we work, but learn so much...they have NEVER struck me as greedy.

Last week, on hearing I was considering buying a queen - they gave me one...in my book that is far from greedy!! Oh, and I haven't heard it called Fastbuck Abbey either!!

The shop on site may not be the cheapest, although the stuff is beautiful - but please don't tar them all with teh same brush.:smash:

Not discussing the same thing here.

It was a BeeFarmer who was local to them who told me that the Abbey is held in considerable disrepute by the tennant farmers, and Glasgow council.

Not talking about the individuals but the Abbot at the time had a terrible rep.

PH

Not discussing the same thing here.

It was a BeeFarmer who was local to them who told me that the Abbey is held in considerable disrepute by the tennant farmers, and Glasgow council.

Not talking about the individuals but the Abbot at the time had a terrible rep.

PH

Reputation seems similar to The Duchy in Cornwall and Isles of Scilly. Many tenants not particularly enamoured with their landlord. As for Buckfast bees, like all strains there are good and bad, problem is finding a good breeder, there's lots out there selling really bad bees, including so called AMM which in my opinion, mostly died out ?
S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah yes Bucky and when the local authorities asked Fastbuck to stop selling it up there they got rather short shift...

PH

Aye its shocking how that stuff is made by men of the cloth, and how many lifes it destroys. Their blinded by wrong prophet me thinks.

Buckfast Tonic Wine................I remember being at a conference and it was stated then that 70% of the global sales of that product went to Glasgow and Lanarkshire. The Abbey was apparently in denial about the use of the product, and did not accept that 'wee rubber men' were their main clientelle.

And not only in denial but jealous too of BA. Hence his rather poor treatment in his latter years.

Not a great advert really for a devout community.

PH

[QUOTE= As for Buckfast bees, like all strains there are good and bad, problem is finding a good breeder, there's lots out there selling really bad bees,

That goes for this forum as well, There are so called breeders on here peddling pure rubbish.

including so called AMM which in my opinion, mostly died out

?

bit like red squirrells......but not quite !

Last edited:
Back