Buckfasts in top bar? ? ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinL

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Just wondered,

Does anyone have experience of keeping Brother Adams creations in the less formal atmosphere of a top bar hive?

Would they prosper or would other breeds be more suitable?
:ohthedrama:

I'm interested to see you ask this!
Well in my short beekeeping experience, I have only had local mongrels so far, mostly in top bars, with queens from black to nut coloured, but have also had one line of more blonde queens. Prolific and very laid back. Well last summer I couldn't believe that a young queen could come into lay and produce so many eggs in a few days! It seemed to me that her workers could scarcely produce comb fast enough for her to lay in. I thought she might do better in a National on double brood (or still in the TBH but with foundation perhaps?*) Also their relatives the previous year, who were also going great guns, suddenly succumbed to chronic paralysis virus (the perfect-looking but trembly sort) which I gather bees are more susceptible to if they are overcrowded. So on thinking about doing a split of a colony this year which is in a top bar at the moment, where the current (2016) queen is very pale and prolific, I'm wondering whether it would be better to move the queen into a National, and whether top bars are perhaps not the best homes for this sort of bee.
Would really like to know if others have any experience with this sort of thing.

*The bees who died were in a top bar which was about 3'9''. They filled the hive pretty quickly; so really I'd say I think it wasn't big enough for them.

Last edited:
Just wondered,

Does anyone have experience of keeping Brother Adams creations in the less formal atmosphere of a top bar hive?

No differently than any other bee.

What hives do you keep your Buckfasts in now?

I currently only have one recognised Buckfast from a breeder at the moment and she is in a national. I have a 2nd on order as a gift from someone and will arrive sometime. I don't currently have bees in my TBH as I moved them out a couple of years ago, i just didn't have the extra time needed to run the TBH.

I've got a daughter from a BF in my Top bar that was open mated, they're doing very well in there, very well indeed!

they're doing very well in there, very well indeed!

As have my prolific pale mongrels - but in one instance at least, too well. Filled the hive. No issues with the format of a horizontal top bar - just the matter of finite space. I found also with one colony even in a 4-footer that there was not enough space really for a split, which has been fine with other bees I've had. - That's not in itself a problem, I know, but a consideration.

Just wondered,

My own experience with the B hybrids is that they are best kept in 14 x 12 Nationals, double brood, or Jumbo Langstroths as they need a lot of space for massive expansion.
Own NZyellow stripies in a 4 foot TBH did not swarm last season, but filled the hive with stores and then ate the lot before I could get to it!
Think they will be transferred to a bouble brood National so that I can super off in the time honored fashon.
May use the 2 TBH hives I own for Native Cornish Amm this season .. as" let alone", drone providers.

Myttin da

My own experience with the B hybrids is that they are best kept in 14 x 12 Nationals, double brood, or Jumbo Langstroths as they need a lot of space for massive expansion.
Myttin da

That is true. Hybrids tend to be biggest colonies.

I have had Buckfasts in a 3 foot long TBH..

Far too small.. I had to remove comb and brood to prevent swarming in 2014 - which was a good summer.. They still swarmed...

Mine have occupied over half of the available 4' space and I've added extra bars last weekend, pretty frugal over winter and still have stores which is what they are using to expand currently, I will just carry out an artificial swarm on them as soon as they star making Queen cells which is what I did last year, it's not practical for honey production so I just take a bit of cut comb and treat them as an interesting observation hive (seeing what they do when left to build their own comb) last year I had a full double sided drone comb built in there.

Exactly what I do - observation and something a bit different. I've never had anything that prolific in it but think it would be an issue for a season with a really good flow like 2013.

Was just thinking about putting a top bar at the top of the garden.

Latest posts

Back