Brood Frame Trap - Good Idea?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luminos

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Less than 100. Er, 6, actually...
Had a look with the Search facility but can't find anything, so, apologies if this has been discussed before...
Received T'orne's catalogue today and am wondering about the viability/practicality of the Brood Frame Trap.
I understand the method of Varroa control, but it seems a waste of brood?
Wouldn't drone brood cull be as effective and less wasteful? Or am I missing something here? :confused:

It is a valuable tool against Varroa that was recommended by our RBI at the weekend. I intend to trial it against drone frame removals every 2 weeks.

Should be ok if done AFTER the foragers responsible for your harvest have been produced but BEFORE winter bee production gets underway.

can also throw in OA treatment between final release of queen and first new brood capping.

BTW cheaper to build own cages especially since easier to have two so that queen just needs to be shifted from one frame to another without faffing.

or consider "horizontal" block where you prop the frame concerned on it's side directly above the QE using a modified (notched) apiguard eke or similar.

Latest posts

Back