Brood enlargening downward

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
30 x30 cm ventilation hole is warmer than
1 x 15 cm hole?

If 15 cm² opening is enough for ventilation, why 60 fold opening is used?

Finland has cold. Uk had cold and damp, and fresh air helps stop damp.

You commented earlier than finny gets larger honey crop than you from similar sized hives. What is your average honey yield?

You are quite right. I should get the same but I don't. I get about 7lbs per Langstroth deep frame, so thats approx 70Lbs from each deep. The problem is that the apiary is surrounded by just that one crop. Once it is finished, there is not much to sustain a large field force. I will have to move them to the beans which are just developing flowers now. I have an apiary which has beans in all directions in mind for this. I am just a bit tied up with queens emerging from the incubator at the moment though.

We use to heat our houses if they are damp and cold. We keep doors closed then.

We also heat our houses to stop damp and cold, but there also has to be a certain amount of fresh air circulating.

We are playing with relative moisture.

At the temp of 40C air can hold 4 times more moisture than in the temp of 10C.

When moist cold air goes into the hive, it becomes quite dry when its temp rise to 36C.

Actually damp comes from the hives and moisture will be ventilated out. Nectar and drinking water what bees carry daily to the hive, have extra water a lot.

But I have not met hives in summer which have condensation problems. Brood is quite an oven and its heat keeps the hive dry. It means that dew point I outside of the hive. Brood itself developed as much heat as a resting bee. 1/3 of larva's weight will burn as pupa stage.

We have damp in our air mostly at night in colder weather, hence frost on windscreen...My expereince of driving in Sweden is that although very cold in daytime and more so at night that the air does not carry damp to the extent that it does in UK.... I saw people brushing snow off cars but no ice on glass.
A piece of wood on grass will get damp and rot more so than if it was on concrete.

IT not difficult to look from weather information, what is moisture.

In my place night moisture was 83% and now it is 45%, temp is now 15C.

Dew point is now in 3C.

Last edited:
I have lived 40 years on the isle of sea. Last Winter sea did not have ice cover. Weathers were so warm that we did not have snow cover either on ground. Almost English Winter.

I have lived 40 years on the isle of sea. Last Winter sea did not have ice cover. Weathers were so warm that we did not have snow cover either on ground. Almost English Winter.

The difference is that when we get snow....everything stops........
your contry knows how to deal with it...

our school boilers always seen to break when it snows....

The difference is that when we get snow....everything stops........
your contry knows how to deal with it...

our school boilers always seen to break when it snows....

We had a pot belly stove that had nothing to break but would have been expected to wear our coats if it had.

Give up while you're ahead Derek - he probably did thermodynamics in Uni as well as Biology,genetic,geography,meteorology and building.

And fluid mechanics?

I'm currently studying the interaction between floor mesh/insulation and the entrance height width and a depth (see avatar) and its has resulted in a red mark on my forehead, as I run into complications that are so simple with 20/20 hindsight.
It worthwhile to note that still air has the same insulation value as polystyrene EPS (getting it to stay still is the interesting bit :) )

A lot of floor designs are rubbish, but not always for the obvious reasons.
A thin plywood solid floor is one of them.

theres at least a couple of papers in this if I can get some one to publish them.

Last edited:
Floor insulation. Yes, ants love it.

Thin plywood at least stops wind.

A wooden board catch strong mold.

Solid floor is good. 150 kg honey per hive is not bad. But floor does not bring honey.

"A lot of floor designs are rubbish, but not always for the obvious reasons.
A thin plywood solid floor is one of them."
Could you give more detail on that please?

Derekm has doomed do many things during his short beekeeping carrier that I cannot take him serious.

Back