Broadband connection costs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brosville

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
TBH
Number of Hives
Have been very happy with my Plusnet connection for the last 3 years- the connection speed has been good (all things considered) as we're at the end of a line that appears to be constituted mostly of wet string. BUT, one of their highly annoying adverts came on the box last night, and it caused me to check the latest rates - considerabubbly lower for "untrestricted" than what I was paying for 120gb a month - upshot was that a swift 'phone call has resulted in my rate more than halving on a much better deal... (and the promise of a new whizzy modem for free) - SO, my tip is that you check what you're paying for broadband, and make sure you hassle your provider for the best deal - it's too easy to be left on an "old" higher rate. If you need a good provider, I wouldn't hesitate to give Plusnet a plug - they've overall been excellent, and have UK call centres...........

Have been very happy with my Plusnet connection for the last 3 years- the connection speed has been good (all things considered) as we're at the end of a line that appears to be constituted mostly of wet string. BUT, one of their highly annoying adverts came on the box last night, and it caused me to check the latest rates - considerabubbly lower for "untrestricted" than what I was paying for 120gb a month - upshot was that a swift 'phone call has resulted in my rate more than halving on a much better deal... (and the promise of a new whizzy modem for free) - SO, my tip is that you check what you're paying for broadband, and make sure you hassle your provider for the best deal - it's too easy to be left on an "old" higher rate. If you need a good provider, I wouldn't hesitate to give Plusnet a plug - they've overall been excellent, and have UK call centres...........

I think that principle applies to just about every service you buy these days from electricity to car insurance ... through mobile phone tarrifs, banking and satellite TV.

I have no doubt that most of the vendors of these 'services' rely on catchpenny tactics to generate new business and then complacency to generate a second and subsequent years profit if the purchaser does not check the market.

My car insurance went up by 35% on the renewal notice (for no reason) I told them to stuff it .. went on line and got the cheapest comparable renewal price and guess who it was from ? My former car insurance provider - so I renewed it ... with the proof on NCD being theirs on the renewal notice !!! Dimwits ...

I agree, was with BT, switched to Plusnet, the broadband is the same, just as fast, but a 1/4 the price of BT's service. Their customer service is excellent. I would never use BT again, they tried to squeeze more money from me after closing my account with a cock and bull story!

Same goes for banks, insurance......and so on it pays to shop around staying with the same company no longer means better deals.

I agree, was with BT, switched to Plusnet, the broadband is the same, just as fast, but a 1/4 the price of BT's service. Their customer service is excellent. I would never use BT again, they tried to squeeze more money from me after closing my account with a cock and bull story!

Sorry to tell u this but ur still with BT then as they wholy own Plusnet and have done since 2007.

Plusnet is a subsidiary company of BT, probably why your speeds are the same. I have to have a good and reliable connection for work, pay a little more and use Xilo. Very good and resolve problems super quick
S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to tell u this but ur still with BT then as they wholy own Plusnet and have done since 2007.

No! Really? Well I don't understand about subsidiaries etc, but how can they call themselves Plusnet when they are really BT? Not that it matters, I'm still making a saving of £18.50 a month. :piggy:

I've known all along they're owned by BT, but are effectively "independent" in day to day running from them, and as I've said, give excellent service

I think a lot of you will find that you are actually still with BT, as a lot of ISPs just buy broadband in wholesale far cheaper from BT and resell it under their own brand.

Its a resellers market generally all ISP's that use ADSL through the phone line will be buying via BT. The only ones that wont really will be Virgin Media as they use dedicated fibre optic lines (far better imo).

My car insurance went up by 35% on the renewal notice (for no reason) I told them to stuff it .. went on line and got the cheapest comparable renewal price and guess who it was from ? My former car insurance provider - so I renewed it ... with the proof on NCD being theirs on the renewal notice !!! Dimwits ...

I mostly end up changing mine each year. Sometime the present company will have a look to see if they can beat a lower quote.
At present I am negotiating. Renewal is £174 fully comp or I can go elsewhere for £103 (FC) withoutout any trimming or £144 with everything. Agreed value, free car hire and all that. Its one advantage of having classic cars.

It is worth re-negotiating each time your contract runs out.

I changed recently from an account with Virgin to Talk Talk.
Saved myself £15 a month plus got all new Broodband equipment.

In 18 Months I will probably change again.
Also
If you sign up through a site like quidco you can earn yourself a few pounds.

One thing that can effect the way you PC works, if you use Firefox, especially jerky screen scrolling and page changing from page to page is a program call plugincontaner.exe.

Google it to find out how to disable ot get rid of it.

Latest posts

Back