Brewing Beer

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ely

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I have brewed a couple of malt extract kits in the past. Both batches tasted a little medicinal. I boiled the water to remove chlorine and added a campden tablet but it didn’t really effect it. I would like to brew some more soon and I was just wondering if anyone had some advice on how to treat the water beforehand. Cheers

Run it slowly through an activated charcoal water filter.

I have brewed a couple of malt extract kits in the past. Both batches tasted a little medicinal. I boiled the water to remove chlorine and added a campden tablet but it didn’t really effect it. I would like to brew some more soon and I was just wondering if anyone had some advice on how to treat the water beforehand. Cheers

Has the Campden introduced the chemical taste?

The usual reason, I think, for unwanted tastes is fermentation temperature. I’ve never filtered my mains water and have made umpteen batches - mostly wine, but quite a lot of beers and ciders as well.

Whether wine or ale, I usually keep the fermentation temperature at around 18 Celsius. OK, it may rise on occasions to just above 20C but I try to avoid it. OK, it takes longer but I ferment for quality, not speed. The wine kits I buy are often over a £100, so I don’t want an inferior product! My wife will only drink the wine if it is at least as good as the bought-in item.

Kits have become far superior to those of a couple of decades ago. Trying to make wine or beer within a week - the target for many cheap kits - is simply folly.

It may work in ideal conditions but most fermentations conditions do not reach that level and only the cheaper kits advocate booze in only a few days. Drinkable - yes. Best quality - no. Better beers, closer to the target taste, are undoubtably better (overall) if made by the ‘all grain’ method unless the more expensive kits are selected.

Chlorine is an oxidising agent and camden tablets are reducing agents, so one will counteract the other. Heating water to near boiling point will remove both (but will leave sulphites/sulphates behind in the case of camden tablets). But yeast needs oxygen for cell multiplication, so boiled water needs aerating before fermentation.

Heating to near boiling point will also remove some hard water minerals, but only the temporary variety. Some use bottled water instead of tap water, but I honestly can’t see the benefits over most mains supplies - and it is a very expensive alternative!

Metabisulphite (whether the sodium or potassium salt) simply breaks down over time, releasing sulphur dioxide. Dampness accelerates the process.

Also, using the potassium salt avoids adding any salty taste to the ferment.

I always leave my ferments to finish completely and slowly (beers are not so important as the fermentation process can complete in later stages - but ‘bottle bombs’ should be avoided if extra carbonation is added). Ales get two weeks (minimum) fermentation, two weeks carbonation and at least two weeks conditioning. Wines get as long as it takes for fermentation and months for maturation, if not years, depending on the type of wine.

Anyone rushing making wines and beers is likely to finish with a less than optimal product. What many do not understand is that rapid fermentation produces extra heat, which in turn increases the fermentation rate due to increased temperature. A vicious circle resulting in a poorer product.

Unless one has a ‘brew-fridge’ it is better to ferment in cooler places than fermentation target temperature - and add warmth if necessary. That might mean not fermenting during the summer months....

RAB

Thanks for the info Rab. I’m hoping to move onto all grain brewing eventually. I’ve been looking at a system called ‘grainfather’. It saves a lot on space and you can program in the times for specific recipes

Run it slowly through an activated charcoal water filter.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for one of these? I don't quite know what I'm looking for, nor the size pipe and tap fittings. Thank you

Can anyone point me in the right direction for one of these? I don't quite know what I'm looking for, nor the size pipe and tap fittings. Thank you

Just a water filter from asda or Tesco will do. You can buy some very expensive filter systems but they all do the same thing at the end of the day.
You could put charcoal from a fire in a sock, soak it in water and away you go. It just depends how high tech you want to be and how much money you want to be deprived off. :cheers2:

Cheers, Mick.

There is a massive difference in kits available. You need to get to know a proper home brew shop who makes it. As Oliver says quality is best made slowly. Anyone can make a bucket of crap in 8 days but time and patience is required to make good stuff and you won't make good stuff with poor ingredients. As far as water is concerned, pour it into a bucket cold, let it stand for 24 hours for the chlorine and other stuff to evaporate then do what you want with it. Higher temps do lead to off taints and flavours from dead yeast cells. Best batch I ever made I stuck in a cool place and it fermented for months, wasn't clearing so I just left it and it turned out brilliant when I remembered to look at it. You have to be making lots to forget about a brew :laughing-smiley-014

Just a water filter from asda or Tesco will do. You can buy some very expensive filter systems but they all do the same thing at the end of the day.
You could put charcoal from a fire in a sock, soak it in water and away you go. It just depends how high tech you want to be and how much money you want to be deprived off. :cheers2:

Cheers, Mick.

Thanks

There is a massive difference in kits available. You need to get to know a proper home brew shop who makes it. As Oliver says quality is best made slowly. Anyone can make a bucket of crap in 8 days but time and patience is required to make good stuff and you won't make good stuff with poor ingredients. As far as water is concerned, pour it into a bucket cold, let it stand for 24 hours for the chlorine and other stuff to evaporate then do what you want with it. Higher temps do lead to off taints and flavours from dead yeast cells. Best batch I ever made I stuck in a cool place and it fermented for months, wasn't clearing so I just left it and it turned out brilliant when I remembered to look at it. You have to be making lots to forget about a brew :laughing-smiley-014

You just reminded me of a mead that’s been in a cubhoard for over a year. It’s bound to be off by now

You just reminded me of a mead that’s been in a cubhoard for over a year. It’s bound to be off by now

Shouldn’t be, unless the liquid has been exposed to air. I once had a bbq and an old beek friend turned up with a dusty bottle of his mead he’d grabbed from the back of his garage. Label revealed it was thirty years old and it was absolutely excellent.

I quite like 'honeydew' bought beer, you can actually taste the honey used for brewing
E

Back