Black Bee of France.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard some use CO2 to get bees unconscious and they fall to the bottom.. I don't want to try it ever. But if that can help in some situations which other solutions are hard to accomplish maybe as last resort.

Not actually sure how that could be achieved in a 12 metre chimney in rural France and to be honest I don't have the time for it, it's only because they are so near that I'll take a look later today. Even having them destroyed is going to cost best part of €1000 I would think, maybe more.

@benno. What ever turns you on, don't forget to get a video.

Chris

I enjoyed the programme, some nice footage of wildlife. I also enjoyed the glimpse into the past on beekeeping, not sure there is any real relevance for beekeeping today but had a nice quaint appeal.
S

I enjoyed the programme, some nice footage of wildlife. I also enjoyed the glimpse into the past on beekeeping, not sure there is any real relevance for beekeeping today but had a nice quaint appeal.
S

I'm sure many people that aren't involved with wildlife in France will have enjoyed the program, it just didn't do the countries wildlife justice.

Chris

I'm sure many people that aren't involved with wildlife in France will have enjoyed the program, it just didn't do the countries wildlife justice.

Chris

:iagree:I have undertaken wildlife surveys of several regions of France (mainly Brittany) on behalf of Natura 2000 and there is some fantastic wildlife. Unfortunately lots of species are at risk and face the same pressures and genuine ignorance as wildlife in this country, so its good to see programmes like this to enlighten.
S

I think they used driving hooks, didn't they? Older chap at my association turned up with a pair of these once.

Nope, the gent I saw just used slightly cupped hands to rhythmically beat the sides of the skep.

He used sturdy twigs to prop the upper skep over the skep he was driving the bees from. (The skep with the bees had been turned upside down so that both skeps were "mouth to mouth", with the upper one tilted at an angle - if you see what I mean). It took a while to get the bees going, but once they started moving, they all went up. I think that the upper skep had cross pieces covered with wax in it, and maybe vestiges of comb - certainly no large pieces of comb. It was quite mesmerising to watch.

An idea both old and new.

Using chimney sweep kit, mount a wooden disc on the top of the poles . On the under side of the disc mount a 30 rpm geared electric motor with an off centre weight. The off centre weight with electric motor will make the wooden disc beat the sides of the chimney

An idea both old and new.

Using chimney sweep kit, mount a wooden disc on the top of the poles . On the under side of the disc mount a 30 rpm geared electric motor with an off centre weight. The off centre weight with electric motor will make the wooden disc beat the sides of the chimney

If you did that in my French chimney you would end up with a couple of tons of rubble on you !!!!!!!!!!!

Ahhhh, was that for me derekm?

The chimney in question turns out to be about 12 metres high and has a flexible flue from a wood burner running through a very large concrete slab at the top surmounted by a tall terracotta thingy. The bees are entering the stack just below the lip of the slab and I would assume are hanging from the slab, it's impossible to see from below having removed the blocking board above the fire.

They will have to be destroyed as there is no practical way to remove them, not even by singing or the use of percussion instruments.

Chris

Ahhhh, was that for me derekm?

The chimney in question turns out to be about 12 metres high and has a flexible flue from a wood burner running through a very large concrete slab at the top surmounted by a tall terracotta thingy. The bees are entering the stack just below the lip of the slab and I would assume are hanging from the slab, it's impossible to see from below having removed the blocking board above the fire.

They will have to be destroyed as there is no practical way to remove them, not even by singing or the use of percussion instruments.

Chris

a more violent method... use compressed air hose to blast the comb off , The bees may survive. the hose can be lowered from the roof with a right angle pipe on the end or inserted from below, attached to chimney sweep rods.

I don't think you get the picture, the comb is inaccessible, not even visible and I really don't have days to spend screwing around while my own bees get away.

I'll post some photos tomorrow of the destruction.

Chris

Latest posts

Back