bj sheriff or bbwear

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't say that I've found BBwear suit to be so good I'd have faith with a nasty colony, quite the opposite in fact.

Magwat,
I had quite a few stings around the veil hoop (I also find it hangs too far forward) from a colony that went fiesty waiting for new queen to start laying. Thankfully they were in my face, as the times when bees have decided to have a go through the suit, they succeeded with no problem!! If I knew I was to be inspecting some angry bees, I'd have a decent layer underneath, that's for certain.
I've worn Sherriff in the past and I think it's a thicker material, at least the one I wore was. I've used the BBwear since so can't comment on any newer suits.
My wife and daughter had their suits from MB. Made by Swienty IIRC and I would suggest having a look at these. Only available with round veil, I think, but very good quality and good thickness in the cloth.

Suits that last.

BB wear all the way for use.

Once we changed over ( from Sherriff suits) we would not go back. There are some refinements on them that suit our hard wearing commercial needs best of all readily available suits, although the absolutely best suit ever had was a 'Mountain Bee Suit' made in South Africa (no longer available from there)

The 'Mountain' in the name refers to Robin Mountain, the guy who developed them, and who emigrated to the USA and became a senior manager at a well known bee supply house there.

As for the BB wear suits, we buy a significant number of them every year for our staff, and the service is faultless. Zip and veil hood problems can be sorted as they repair those parts.

Oh, and did I mention they are cheaper?

This has been very timely, I live very close to both suppliers and one is exhibiting at an event I'm attending this Saturday. Hopefully I'll be able to examine both first hand, at these prices this should be a long term investment and last a considerable time. I'll do a friendliness/quality/price comparison next week.

There really was no significant difference in quality or style, the clincher was that BB were at the event I went to and had a further 20% discount on the days so the full suit with the fencer style hood was only £79.00
The salesman was a bit humourless but at that price and quality I couldn't resist.

Back