birch trees.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter genders

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I have some very large river birch trees next to a stream in my fields are they good for bees or would i be better off buying a wood burner thanks for your time.

you may want to find out if they have a TPO on them before touching them

They will be beneficial to a wide variety of wildlife.

Also holding the banks of the stream together

I presume you mean Silver?

Silver birch is one of the most valuable trees for wildlife supporting 230 species of insect including buff tip moths and sawflies.

It makes good smoke for your smoker too.

Definitely the wood burner! I have three wood burners........perfect!

Tap them for Syrup in case we have the same sort of summer as last year.

I didn't spend weekends planting trees in Wales for biodiversity for the likes of you to chop them down

Silver Birch has little catkins in spring, so they're an early source of pollen. The bees use the ones in our garden.

They're native trees and support a huge variety of wildlife.

http://www.rfs.org.uk/learning/Birches
Silver birch supports well over 300 insect species; a fact that makes these trees a favoured foraging place for woodpeckers which often make nesting holes in the trunk. Birch seeds also provide winter food for siskins, greenfinches and redpolls.

Definitely the wood burner! I have three wood burners........perfect!

I have a woodburner which is great- but there is plenty of wood to be had from dead trees, pruned branches etc, without laying waste the healthy trees in an area.

I have a woodburner which is great- but there is plenty of wood to be had from dead trees, pruned branches etc, without laying waste the healthy trees in an area.

Listen, no one in Finland uses rotten wood in their fireplaces.

Birch is most wanted because energy content is the most high.
Rotten birch does not even burn in oven. If you keep the bark on, the wood rottens quickly.

Birch is one of the most short living forest tree and it starts to rotten at the age of about 60 years in Finland.

Energy content kWh/p-m3

Birch...1700

Scotch pine...1360

Norwegian spruce....1320

Alden ...1230

Populus tremula...1330

Last edited:
I don't mind people chopping down tree is sustainable forests where it is managed, so all those with wood burners go and plant a new tree every time you light it or if you buy it in make sure it is from a sustainable forest

Finland has forest 72% out of its land area.

It won't have, by the time we have burnt most of it as woodchip.

Finland will just be 72% Fireweed..lol.

Last edited:
birch trees

Beejoyfull thanks for the answer to my question redwood vanity comes before a these trees were definetly not planted by you unless you are a centurian.

read some where that Birch trees can support large quantities of aphids; aphids produce a sugary waste product which bees can convert into honey

Beejoyfull thanks for the answer to my question redwood vanity comes before a these trees were definetly not planted by you unless you are a centurian.
No not a centurian but did spend long weekends planting trees to encourage biodiversity in areas that did not sustain a healthy ecosystem, my car had trees sticking out of all windows lol

birch trees

Redwood hope they re-plant you at end of your days but working in a warehouse for to long can affect you also what is your real name.

Back