Best Late Summer/Autumn shrub for bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a large St Johns Wort in my garden that flowered in the summer is in full bloom again. Disapointingly I only see a few hover flies and the occasional bumble bee visiting it. I am going to dig it up in spring and put it on Freegle, so I can put in perennials that are more beneficial to bees, butterflies etc. I do have another smaller one at the bottom of the garden that I will keep.

Attachments

• St Johns Wort..JPG
    St Johns Wort..JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
I have got some salvias growing and hoping the bees will make use of them, any feedback from others if they are used?
I’ve heard mention of sedums and asters as well. Planning a green roof on my shed with some sedums.
Ron I reckon keep the St John’s wort. Amazing medicinal plant. I have tried tea from the flowers, only needed a very small amount and gave me a bit of a high.

Sedums and Asters are excellent for pollinators, as are Salvias. Also consider Echinacea, Nepeta, Campanula, Veronicastrum and Veronica’s. Some repeat flowering roses such as Sweet Haze also flower later in the year if you are diligent with dead heading.

Korean bee tree: lots of flowers August/September: bees love it.

Latest posts

Back