Beginners, please be prepared.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazza

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 ish
I can't believe anyone on this forum wouldn't be prepared but just in case....

I have been asked to help a novice to check their hive for Queen Cells. When I asked if they were ready to act if required, I was told they had a BB, QE but no roof or floor and were unsure if they had any foundation frames ready...:banghead:

Since my bees have all been AS'd or demareed for at least a month, I suspect the cat is out of the bag already.

Nobody here would be that unprepared, would they???

Cazza

I was prepared, but I still had to make a floor from an old kitchen cupboard door and a roof from a piece of kitchen top! Got them replaced now but ...... They even caught me out this year cazza. It wasn't the fact that they were swarming, it was the fact that they all did it on the same day! So wise words cazza!
E

Thanks Enrico. I think the surprise for me was the fact that the need for frames had not apparently been thought about.
Cazza

I have been asked to help a novice to check their hive for Queen Cells. When I asked if they were ready to act if required, I was told they had a BB, QE but no roof or floor and were unsure if they had any foundation frames ready...:banghead:

Since my bees have all been AS'd or demareed for at least a month, I suspect the cat is out of the bag already.

Cazza

One wonders if they even know if they are bees that they have...

I have just completed a year (beek for 13 months). I had, what I thought, was loads of equipment for this year. I even upped my BDI from 2 to 5 colonies. I now have 8 (partly due to ineptitude). I even learned how to convert coverboards into floors (for colony 8).

Perhaps it is part of the first year learning to keep ahead of your bees.

I would be 'concerned' if someone had no frames or foundation and expected to survive into their second year. There is 'being caught out' and there is being totally unprepared. Being a responsible bee keeper does require being prepared.

I think I have managed to be polite, but the situation you found, Cazza, would lead me to use rude words.

Cazza

Agree, all winter to prepare. I use winter months to look and see what is needed. Order and get ready for the coming season.
First year thought me never to leave things last minute.

Love Beekeeping <3

I think it is a massive learning curve for beginners to see how quickly it can all kick off.
I went to help a bee keeper of 2 months experience as she had a swarm in her garden. She was frantically making up frames as I arrived. I lent her a full hive to put the swarm in as it was a large prime and she only had a Nuc box spare.

THIS is what should be included in the education theory that some (and she) attend.

Always have one complete unit spare.. even though you are determined you will not use it as you refuse to expand!:icon_204-2:

Agree, all winter to prepare. I use winter months to look and see what is needed. Order and get ready for the coming season.

:iagree:

Had two weeks leave in February to make up loads of brood boxes, supers and frames for both as well as crown boards so my bee minder wouldn't get caught short,and I could relax a bit when I came home. Spent the last week broaching my reserve supply of brood boxes, crown boards, frames etc. as I'm running short again! Luckily I pre-empted the spring rush for foundation and ordered a load as soon as I came home last month.

I have just converted an old (>30 years) National nuc with sold floor to a TBH nuc with mesh floor in anticipation ... shows how desperate I am not to spend money :winner1st:

(it's the Aberdonian upbringing)

I remember asking Dave Cushman what equipment I needed to start beekeeping and the reply was three hives, I soon found out why lol

Not just beginners!

Have still got 3 empty brood boxes, (2X-14x12) floors a plenty although mostly solid now, foundation/frames-enough for this summer, roofs etc.....:sifone:

Where did my crown boards go?
:hairpull::hairpull:

However - there is always the potential of being over-prepared/enthusiastic and then bearing the consequences....
Specifically in my first year of keeping bees I made up 3 supers worth of frames and 3 brood boxes worth - that was 2 years ago and the bees resolutely REFUSE to draw out the, by now understandably, stale foundation :hairpull: For various reasons the supers were not even required the 1st year, or last year.
I'm getting the hairdryer out now - sugar water had no enticing effect.

Just had a thought I'm a couple of hives up this year I better check my super numbers :hairpull:

I even upped my BDI from 2 to 5 colonies. I now have 8 (partly due to ineptitude).

You need to make sure you have insurance for all colonies and nuc's or the insurance is invalid, one hive/nuc over and they dont have to pay out.
Another thing to note is if an apiary is shared then all hives have to be insured.

Yep, this is the first year I've got everything done by April and it's so relaxing to know you have pretty much everything you need.

Seems it's not only beginners this year running out of spares. Some of the suppliers are out of some of the popular wax foundation sizes, no firm date for restocking. It does appear to have been an exceptional year for swarming so far.

Not that there's an excuse for having nothing spare.

Yep, this is the first year I've got everything done by April and it's so relaxing to know you have pretty much everything you need.

That's what I said surveying all the kit I had in readiness at the end of February!!!

I think it is a massive learning curve for beginners to see how quickly it can all kick off....

THIS is what should be included in the education theory that some (and she) attend.

Always have one complete unit spare.. even though you are determined you will not use it as you refuse to expand!:icon_204-2:
It doesn't help when new beekeepers are told their nucs won't swarm within the first twelve months!

You need to make sure you have insurance for all colonies and nuc's or the insurance is invalid, one hive/nuc over and they dont have to pay out.
Another thing to note is if an apiary is shared then all hives have to be insured.

:iagree:

At this time of year it can take some weeks for hive numbers to be updated for insurance, so it's a good idea to overestimate when paying the original premium.

Latest posts

Back