Beginners First Year Winter Prep

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

einsteinagogo

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
enough (but all insured!)
as per title really, Beginners First Year prep for Winter.

I've just finished and taken off, MAQS strips. I'm left with

National Brood Box
National Super
Queen Excluder

both above broof and a half.

National Super with some stores.
Roof with kingspan on crown board.

At this point in time, I've read many books, BBKA , FERA, and these forums, as to what to do next for winter, but also noted keeping disturbance to a minimum, or is this later in the year, when all is done and sealed up!

I also been recommended, to move the super (half) under the brood box, leave the existing crop super in pace, or take off existing crop super, and then put empty super (extratced already) under brood box, and leave crop super in place.

so over winter, there would be

super (extracted and empty)
brood box (existing)
super (existing)

make sure queen excluder is removed.

I've also read about the bees moving up, with queen so understand the significance of removing queen excluder, but does this mean in the spring, I'll end up with bees in the super again (e.g. brood and a half) - this was only done because this swarm which arrived filled the bb with stores before queen started to lay, and it has been difficult for a yearling to inpsect both boxes.

so much prefer the idea of single BB if possible, next year.

and then there's hefting, assessing stores, should I do this now, and really tear down the hive, open up, split the boxes, and remove and check all frames.

I have scales, so could just lump brood and half onto scales and weigh?

I'm just concerned, that me messing with my only single hive, I could damage the queen, with all this re-arrangement. e.g. move empty super under brood box etc (as bb and half is heavy to lift on own!)

and then there is feeding, which I assume, do if low on stores, and I understand the ratio of 20-25kg of stores, approx 2kg stores per frame.

but feeding can only be done, if active, and not all winter....and then there's which feeder type (i have all types available - contact/miller etc)

so, advice and comments welcome as always.

Just about to start a winter theory course next week, but I'm fearful time is ticking on, weather is not so good at weekends, nights are getting darker, and it's really only weekends, I'm now getting to do this maintenance, unless I take a day off work, when the weather is good.

I'd put super with stores in under BB, bees will move stores up if they feel the need to.
I'd feed now if they need food, use your miller feeder to get as much in at one go.
If you winter on brood and a half with super under BB, the cluster will move up to the top of available space so queen should be in BB.

existing crop super may not have full stores?

so are we suggesting moving the existing top super (half), under the BB?

so no need for inspection, checking frames, just move boxes carefully.....

so I assume, I do not have to check frames,

1. remove roof
2. crack and remove crown board
2. remove queen excluder
3. break/crack seals and lift off super (half of brood), and put to one side on crownboard
4. break/crack seals and left off bb from floor.
5. put back super
6. put back bb
7. drop on miller feeder
8. top up
9. drop on glass quill.
10. kingspan
11. roof - done
12. check feeder

Last edited:
If super over bb is full and BB has stores what is the advantage of rearranging the hive at this stage?and if you intend to go/keep brood and a half next year does it really matter either way
This is meant more as a question to the forum than a reply to the op

@Tonyatcwfarm

good question, which is what I was kind of implying.....

do I just leave "as is" put feeder on to top up any stores.

if I do not want to do "brood and a half next year" I kind of understand, as could end up with brood in the half again, but as they were very prolific this year, some suggest double brood or brood and a half, is best.

I have lots of standard brood frames and boxes, and find double brood very heavy, i'm not moving hives around, so it's just inspections that take longer with brood and a half.

If super over bb is full and BB has stores what is the advantage of rearranging the hive at this stage?and if you intend to go/keep brood and a half next year does it really matter either way
This is meant more as a question to the forum than a reply to the op

The advantage is that over winter the bees guzzle and clean out the bottom super first so that you can take it off in the Spring all clean and new - minimise volume until/if it is needed again.

Cazza

P.s in post no 4 don't forget to clean hive floor or swap with a clean one.
Also don't understand why QX was under crown board? Not needed.

I am not a brood and a half man but my grandfather only used brood and a half (1950's-1960's) always said biggest box on top as other wise the queen might not cross the gap with the main cluster, but i use 14x12 ,so it for other to discuss whether his view has any foundation in facts

I am not a brood and a half man but my grandfather only used brood and a half (1950's-1960's) always said biggest box on top as other wise the queen might not cross the gap with the main cluster, but i use 14x12 ,so it for other to discuss whether his view has any foundation in facts
:iagree:

<snip>
P.s in post no 4 don't forget to clean hive floor or swap with a clean one.
Also don't understand why QX was under crown board? Not needed.

Cazza

mistake! getting carried away, should have said stuff it on top, so I know where it is for spring!

thanks

This evening I dropped on a clearer board to remove the crop super tomorrow morning, few bees in the crop super, I was surprised at how few bees were around, and none came out to say hello!

tomorrow morning, I've got a clean floor.

Could I move the hive up onto hive stand in same place, I'm just thinking I could setup new floor on hive stand, and transfer super (half) to new floor, and bb ontop of super (half), followed by miller feeder, and glass quill. (plus roof).

at present the hive it's on a wooden pallet on grass, or could drop onto concrete slab.

Here's the winter setup I use

Roof - weighted down & strapped
CB & QX (stored for next season)
Empty Super – fondant & insulation
Perspex CB
BB
Super
Floor – Ent block & mouseguard
Stand
Heavy weight to strap whole hive onto

"Not volume but heated surface area"

sure but fixed frame dimensions and stores requirements somewhat restrict the formats possible!!!!

i suppose a small Sun hive carved out of a stack of glued kingspan would be good for winter?

Back