Beeswax food wraps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dadnlad

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
A few and some more
Does anyone make these to sell ?

We've got a stall at a local fair coming up, plenty of honey ready to go

We've 2 years worth of wax blocks sitting in the garage, and my missus just suggested using some up with some 'fat quarters' she'd got left over from a quilting project to make wax wraps

Seems a simple enough process, any pitfalls or problems making it not worth a go ?

Just check out your products liability insurance........

Not my bag, but the save the planet brigade seem to like them!!

You could just sell as bees wax wraps and no mention of food....then of course what ever they put in the wrap is down to the customer...

There is a girl in Ireland going trough a half ton of wax a year making them wraps ,

Yep got product liability insurance through my local association

I’m not sure that will cover you. You’re dealing with food and will need to have your premises and water supply (if you’re not on mains water) checked by Health and Safety. (Also, btw, if you’re selling honey - but I suppose that is generally ignored by most beekeepers.)

You could just sell as bees wax wraps and no mention of food....then of course what ever they put in the wrap is down to the customer...

Yes, there are specific regulations controlling materials which contact food. Why give yourself problems?

Yes, there are specific regulations controlling materials which contact food. Why give yourself problems?

Renewed my Level 2 Food Safety in Catering which is the requirement for my products liability insurance ( and Cornwall Council Trading Standards)

The instructor was quite clear in saying that if a product is used in the food industry and is in contact with food, then it must be fit for purpose.....
eg cutlery plates chopping boards and food containers,,,

My suggestion is that anyone who is intending to supply food or food products** to the public should check with their insurers that they are covered and that they inform their local Council department ( In Cornwall we go through Trading Standards) to have their premises inspected.

A two year prison sentence is not particularly appealing........

** I stand to be corrected but the baseline insurance that is offered alongside bee disease insurance of majority of "association" members, does not extend to any more than a small level of sales " over the gate"...

No matter what the "Jam and Jerusalem" brigade have made exemptions over!

Curious how you managed to renew your level 2 hygiene. It's something you only ever need take (and pass) the exam for once....or did you do a refresher course? JUst checked mine...there is no expire date.

BBKA insurance covers you for honey sales from gate, market stalls etc. Also covers you 3rd party for any incidents involving your bees as in any accidents should you be showing someone through a hive etc.
I know as I rang and talked to the insurers to find out what they did cover. It's a comprehensive policy despite it's many knockers who don't have a clue what it does cover.
But note it covers honey and related beeswax products but not other items such as jams and chutneys.
It may be worth checking with the insurer's if they do cover you for beeswax wraps as I don't know the answer to that specific question, although I suspect they don't.
What I wouldn't do is rely on some of the very poor inaccurate advice given by some on this forum.
When in doubt ring up and ask is my first approach.

Last edited:
Curious how you managed to renew your level 2 hygiene. It's something you only ever need take (and pass) the exam for once....or did you do a refresher course? JUst checked mine...there is no expire date.

BBKA insurance covers you for honey sales from gate, market stalls etc. Also covers you 3rd party for any incidents involving your bees as in any accidents should you be showing someone through a hive etc.
I know as I rang and talked to the insurers to find out what they did cover. It's a comprehensive policy despite it's many knockers who don't have a clue what it does cover.
But note it covers honey and related beeswax products but not other items such as jams and chutneys.
It may be worth checking with the insurer's if they do cover you for beeswax wraps as I don't know the answer to that specific question, although I suspect they don't.
What I wouldn't do is rely on some of the very poor inaccurate advice given by some on this forum.
When in doubt ring up and ask is my first approach.

Yes I took the first exam six years ago when Cornwall Council insisted on the QA Level 2 Award in Food Safety in Catering.
I sat through the full training for the exam again 3 years ago at Supervisor level and this was a third assessment.

My staff take the standard level of certification, which we pay for... but it does then allow them to work in the many tourist restaurants in the summer months when we are not extracting and bottling.
I had to go through all the books and answer a complex questionnaire which was marked,,, then a multiple choice exam with others who had had the full training session,,, Certificate says it is recommended you refresh your training in 3 years...... in fact Cornwall Council insist on it!

Perhaps Yourkshire .... is less insistent on food hygiene!

On the Insurance point.... The BBKA insurance is not accepted by the majority of "Farmers Markets" and such in Cornwall.

You must be favored as I could not get a sensible reply... let alone the Insurance Certificate required for selling at markets from the BBKA.
when I asked some years back!

I use the Beefarmer's Association "Jelf".. and top up with a special policy for market traders and distance sellers of food products from the NFU Mutual

Perhaps I am in a different league to the Jam & Jerusalem 2 hive owners??

As for you usual trolling line..What I wouldn't do is rely on some of the very poor inaccurate advice given by some on this forum

Just what Admin was on about?????

KICK THE BALL NOT THE PLAYER

:calmdown:

Last edited:
Perhaps Yourkshire .... is less insistent on food hygiene!

On the Insurance point.... The BBKA insurance is not accepted by the majority of "Farmers Markets" and such in Cornwall.

You must be favored as I could not get a sensible reply... let alone the Insurance Certificate required for selling at markets from the BBKA.
when I asked some years back!

Yes you are doing level 2 with staff....a different certificate to what you said you where doing hence my puzzlement.
If the BBKA insurance is not accepted by farmers markets in Cornwall then they are acting illegally and preventing fair trade, so they need to be careful there. More likely the refusal is the sellers don't also possess a local authority 1-5 star hygiene rating. In Yorkshire, at least, you require both to be sell your produce on any market. Are you saying that primary food producers can get on Cornish markets with only third party insurance?

Talk to the insurers directly... or e-mail them. I've found them most helpful on more than one occasion.
I need BBKA insurance for garden gate sales as my NMTF liability insurance doesn't cover me for gate sales.

Last edited:
Does anyone make these to sell ?

We've got a stall at a local fair coming up, plenty of honey ready to go

We've 2 years worth of wax blocks sitting in the garage, and my missus just suggested using some up with some 'fat quarters' she'd got left over from a quilting project to make wax wraps

Seems a simple enough process, any pitfalls or problems making it not worth a go ?

Nice idea I thought! However, bees wax contain hydrocarbons and after smelling a wax wrap I would not contaminate my sandwiches wrapped in that product.

Spot on their Hoppy, I'm glad we agree.

It is nice to agree.... We have been invited to have a stand in the Cornish Food Producers marquee at the Royal Cornwall Show once again this year.

Insurance.... product liability and public liability is somewhat in excess that the BBKA provides as standard with the 3 hive BDI package.
AND a risk assessment for all eventualities..... strictly no opening of jars or tasters.... and loads of other hoops to jump through... can not say or will end up in the Tower for treason!!!

We will not be selling beeswax wraps!

Yeghes da

Insurance.... product liability and public liability is somewhat in excess that the BBKA provides as standard with the 3 hive BDI package.

The 3 hive BDI is a totally separate insurance policy which can be increased to any number of hives you like by paying more . It is a different policy to the third party liability insurance.
It is not included in the BBKA standard third party liability insurance packages and many regional BBKA regional associations do not subscribe to it.

Hoppy, please please check your facts before posting more inaccurate information....it is, and will cause unnecessary confusion.

Ohh providing risk assessments for shows/markets is standard practise and has been for some time. If you are struggling to fill yours in I can sent you a copy of the one we use that you can change around to fit your requirements.

The 3 hive BDI is a totally separate insurance policy which can be increased to any number of hives you like by paying more . It is a different policy to the third party liability insurance.
It is not included in the BBKA standard third party liability insurance packages and many regional BBKA regional associations do not subscribe to it.

Limited third party insurance...No product liability... I asked!

Ohh providing risk assessments for shows/markets is standard practise and has been for some time. If you are struggling to fill yours in I can sent you a copy of the one we use that you can change around to fit your requirements.

Thanks... but no thanks... probably full of misinformed guesswork if your previous communications are anything to go by!!!!
Plus we have a marketing and insurance expert as a family member
Chons da

Last edited:
Some people have mixed up food hygiene with food safe with food contact materials. Not surprising as the situation can be as clear as mud, however, here is the stuff you need to see: The Materials and Articles in Contact with Food (England) Regulations 2012 (same content for Wales). The responsible enforcing authority is the Food Standards Agency.
The OP's problem with the legislation would not be the bee part, but the colours and other chemicals in the cloth off cuts being used. Whatever liability cover one has and from whoever, you cannot insure against an illegal act, thus the protection would be nul and void should anything be found to be an ingredient which is not recognised as food safe.
Commercial beeswax wraps for food use oils such as Jojoba or tree resin to make the cloth sticky otherwise it sometimes unwraps itself. If going down this route, one needs to check that the oil/resin is described as food safe as not all is will be.
Maybe selling the wax wrapped in the cloth would solve a problem. Have a sign on the stall showing how to make wax wraps?

Limited third party insurance...No product liability... I asked!
You didn't ask, you just lied...

Suggest you go to this web page.
https://www.-------------/public-liability-insurance
Scroll down a little and then read the full BBKA Public and product liability policy.

To make it easy for you ...

What is the BBKA Insurance
The BBKA provide all Members (and Local Associations & Branches) with absolutely first rate
cover at breathtakingly low prices, all included in your membership!
How are the prices so low? Two reasons:-
1. Buying power – of over 25,000 members across the UK.
2. Best practice. The only large claim we have seen in the last 3 years was from a beekeeper
who had never been a member of the BBKA.
What is the cover (in plain English)?
What is the cover (in plain English)?
Cover for members Legal Liability as itemised below, including legal defence costs, for:-
Public Liability: Injury to others (or damage to their property), up to £10m whilst undertaking
beekeeping activities.
Products Liability: Through the supply of hive products, up to £10m.
Professional Indemnity: Professional advice, up to £2m.
Trustees Liability: “Wrongful acts” as a trustee, up to £2m. This covers all Local Association
Trustees, even if the LA in question is a registered charity in its own right

Last edited:
We sell wraps at a weekly market which recently won best in Cornwall and they sell very very well. Yes the markets we sell at are strict on insurance but as we are well covered and not by the dodgy BBKA , it’s not a problem.
We have been inspected by trading standards on several occasions, including a check on our labelling and must say they were very complimentary and helpful
S

Latest posts

Back