Bees out and about

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OursonAnglaise

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
We've had a lovely weekend here in the Pyrenees. Temps of mid teens, & clear blue skies. Definitely warm enough for me to be out and about in just a t-shirt!

Anyway, the snow drops were out and my girls were taking full advantage - see my photo.

Also went on a walk, and saw hawthawn and cherry coming into bloom. I'm torn between the bees having some early pollen and it all being too early....I'm worried we'll get a cold snap in Feb which is more than possible in my part of the world.

Attachments

• bees 001.jpg
    bees 001.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 27
So true Hivemaker. What will be will be, so I'll stop worrying. There is always a plan B...I just need to work out what it is

:willy_nilly:

Hi all,
Mine were very busy too. A lot of prunus pollen going into the hives. I did see bees going for nectar on the prunus, but they were very quick on each flower so I can't imagine they actually got any?

Weather here in Kent yesterday was calm and warm and activity around three of my four colonies was busy as the girls took advantage of the conditions to stretch their wings and do some housework!!
It is all very encouraging at this stage of the winter, but there is still a long way to go before winter passes, so the important thing remains to leave well alone and just ensure enough stores are available and that hives are warm, dry and well ventilated. Time and the girls will determine the rest!!

just ensure enough stores are available and that hives are warm, dry and well ventilated.

Hope you're not suggesting anything ridiculous like matchsticks or gaping holes in the crownboard!
OMF (sans inspection tray)is quite sufficient for the bees to sort themselves out

Hope you're not suggesting anything ridiculous like matchsticks or gaping holes in the crownboard!
OMF (sans inspection tray)is quite sufficient for the bees to sort themselves out

OMF with Inspection tray in for me, we are first port of call for Atlantic weather patterns and strong drafts around the cluster does not make for happy overwintering IMO.

Suited them last winter and so good so far this winter. Also think OMF on small polynucs without baffling down wind is madness in a windy climate.

Back