Bees into top broodbox

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fox403

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Ok sure been mentioned loads so a link been great ....brood box is full up brim! But Bees are not moving up to next brood box....how do u get them up there....
Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk

How many frames of brood?

Ignore the bees when you see them as when the temps drop they will shrink magically too... the real gauge is the frames of brood.

PH

Spring Strength

Patience please, it is very early yet.

PH

3 frames brood rest honey....my worry is bees not going up to clean or make cells yet all frames are full

Keep there 3 food frames and take other food frames off.
Put empty combs instead that queen may lay there.

Take that second box off.

If there are only that many bees they won't move as...
a - They don't need extra space
b - If HM did lay they couldn't keep that area warm enough.

Give them time...if they need the space they will move up, Take away some stores as mentioned, and give them (if poss.) drawn frames or at least foundation.

Would u take stores out next to the brood or outer edge frames out ? Ty for the replys

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk

Next to the existing brood - bees llike brood to face each other - easier to heat

When you open the cover, you see how many frames bees cover and how many not.
Not covered are only harmfull because they let the heat escape.

If bees cover 8 out of 10, let it bee.

If they cover 5 out of 10, it is a hard bit to eate to the colony.
Bees can keep quite small brood area in this case.
If you take extra space off, bees may rear 4 full frames brood and keep 2 frames for honey and pollen. When those 4 frames emerge, then they have full box of bees. It takes its own time.

You cannot push or "encourage" them. Bees do their best.

Bees have instinct to survive over millions of years and they do not risk their brood rearing with concuring what ever spaces.

Latest posts

Back