Bees in sealed chimney

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazy_bull

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
The situation is that a swarm has entered a capped chimney, they have taken advantage of a 7mm hole in the motar around the cap, all the fire places relating to the chimney are blocked up so no smoking them out from below. They only moved in yesterday so they hopefully haven't got to comfy, I have put a porter bee escape over the hole to try and trap them out (skep positioned over the hole)

Other than dismantling the chimney cap (which is NOT an option) has anyone else got any idea's, I did puff alot of smoke into the chimney via the hole to try and make them think that it wasn't an ideal new home. Would the 'Bee Quick' concoction that various people sell for clearing supers be usefull or just drive the bee's further down the chimney.

C B

Further down! I would use fly spray........tin hat on

The fireplaces should have airbricks fitted, can you move furniture find the airbrick and smoke them from the lowest ex-fireplace.

Ventilation isn't really necessary if the chimney has been capped. It can't do any harm though. If the ex fireplaces don't have airbricks/ventilation it's unlikely to hurt to add it to at least one. Preferably the lowest one.

Alternatively you could drill a hole, pump some smoke in and fill it when you're happy the bees have moved on.

We've had been in a sealed chimney for approx 13 years. Have never had any problems. I understand that the problems start when you try to get rid of them. The bees keep the wax from melting and hence honey from dripping inside the structure of the house.

Hi Luke
Ive had a simular situation the other day, they moved in a void in a garage, so i smoked the hole ( heavily) they was using and placed a hive with a bit of honey inside, came back the next morning and they had moved into the hive :)

The fireplaces should have airbricks fitted, can you move furniture find the airbrick and smoke them from the lowest ex-fireplace.

Yeah, should have ventilation grill fitted when blocked up but never do.:mad:

We've had been in a sealed chimney for approx 13 years. Have never had any problems. I understand that the problems start when you try to get rid of them. The bees keep the wax from melting and hence honey from dripping inside the structure of the house.

Think your problems started when the chimney was "sealed". Chimneys should NEVER be sealed fully, condensation can build up resulting in damp/tar patches and structural breakdown. :eek:
If it was done properly there should be a vent at each fireplace and at least one airbrick or one for each flue at the top.

If there was more than one fireplace in the house, the stack will have a corresponding number of flues (originally topped with pots), you will need to find out which one is occupied by the bees.

Is there any access to the loft? You might be able to hear them if you put your ear to the chimney, drill into it below where you think they are and smoke them out from there? :smash::smash:

well i have been back and the porter bee escape idea has failed, they simply took an alternative route out.

Unfortunatley i think these bee's are doomed, i have checked with the occupants, there are no air vents that they can find into the old chimney (probably wallpapered over) and the landlord does not want me to start drilling holes etc. It is not the most accessible chimney in the world so think unfortunatley i will have to resort to blocking up all the potential bee access points and killing them and blocking them in.

I will note this is not a course of action i take lightly, infact it really annoys me that i can't do more, if i get time tomorrow i might try and put a spare box on the top of the chimney with some old brood frames inside in a hope to tempt them up but i think that they will be firmly encamped by then.

not ideal

C B

Why can't they stay there?

Chris

Unfortunatley the lady of he house is hyper allergic to bee stings (carries epipen) so although the chances are the bee's will stay high up out of her way, it's just not worth the risk, and as I am 99% sure they are my bee's i feel responsible for the outcome, and would rather do the killing myself and satisfy myself that no other colony can access the chimney, than let someone else do the job.

C B

Unfortunatley the lady of he house is hyper allergic to bee stings............I am 99% sure they are my bee's i feel responsible for the outcome, and would rather do the killing myself and satisfy myself that no other colony can access the chimney, than let someone else do the job.

C B

Don't you think blocking them in will drive them to find another exit??

I would assume that death will be caused by the magic white powder, not just shutting them in.

Chris

I would assume that death will be caused by the magic white powder, not just shutting them in.

Chris

I am going to try a dose of 'Bee Quick' in the chimney before resorting to killing them and blocking them in.

C B

I am going to try a dose of 'Bee Quick' in the chimney before resorting to killing them and blocking them in.

C B

Let me know how it goes. We have just ordered some as the two alternatives have hazard sheets. Smoke is not always appropriate.

We have issues with the pub swarm in that they are still finding their way out of the bottom at car park level (low roof) although quite happy to come out the top at 30 feet. Landlord ok about them staying but they are not in the only open flue and chimney top is corbelled with multiple gaps.

In other words swarm living low in third chimney and not accessible. We tried smoking from bottom but not enough oomph. Not enough access even under the slates to get the beevac in.

Latest posts

Back