Bees in cavity wall

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Paul

Yes I noticed today looking at the pics the alternating brick pattern i.e no void.

So I think a small hole drilled in the facia board for some smoking out of them up the plastic pipe or even a pry of with a crow bar (owners permission) might revele a treasure trove?

Looking forward to inspection tommorow, and futher progress reports.

Progress update

A few bees clustered around old entrance, possibly a few minor holes. They also appeared to me eating some of the foam.

So, a mud plaster was made up sealing over the foam and any other small holes.

They are using the exit pipe and making their way into the main hive.

Pollen is being brought into the main hive and foundation being drawn (3 frames of drawn existed from bait hive)

On reflection of the void in the roof space I estimate the space to be = 4 national brood boxes.

Despite the disturbance of the bees and the conditions I am working in the nature of these bees is amazing. Zero smoke needed Zero stings...amazing bees to handle and work.

There are no signs of Varroa on them, but still early days to fully examine.

At this rate will need to be supering them whilst still on the roof!

Jim

Update

This evening On inspection of the brrod box, I decided to remove this one back to my garden, it was completey full.

On siteing it in the garden I have added a second brood to run with double brood, it is that big a swarm (capture).

I am hopping the move (6 miles) + the addtion of a QX below the brood exit will settle them (the queen).

Back at the house site ( as pics above) I have added a replacment brood box in place of the removed one to mop up the remaining emerging bees.

I will leave this box there for a couple more weeks and then finaly seal up the hole.

All in all I am quite please with this caputre that other might have walked away from and called out pets control or just seale dit up.

+ They look to be a very good set of bees with good temper and obviously prolific nature, and ?????? varroa managment!

What a load of? call it work? yers a guarantee after blocking off the hole and leaving a permanent green mess on the wall (owner can sue damage defacing the wall)
The bees will find a way in the next year unless wax nest is removed.
I’m with you hedgerow!
I know a man that had bees in his chimney in a lovely thatch roof.--- some beek set fire to it, the house that is. "didunt you wobbly bob"
leave it to the pro`s
all the best mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back