Bees have decorated inside the hive. All high viz yellow!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obee1

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
11 ish plus some nucs
So I peeked into my tower hive today. 2 brood boxes and 4 supers. Just about all the frames are high viz yellow. The drawn cells, the cappings, even the top bars of the frames are tinged yellowish. Tasted the honey. Not quite as nice as previous honey but not bitter. Any ideas what the girls have been on? I attach a photo of a frame next to some white kitchen roll for colour comparison

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 145
Ragwort, my bees have done the same. It happens every year but only in one hive... weird

:iagree:

We are surrounded by the stuff this year
Never seen so much of it

I remember many years ago that a few of our hives were like this and it was 'Dandelion' even the wax had a yellow tinge to it, it look lovely.

It appears only my mega hive has turned yellow. The hive a few feet away is normal colour. Had some of the cut comb on toast for brekkie. Tastes really good so no complaints. Just gave me a shock when I opened the hive. Also noticed a lot of drones and drone brood in there. Seems they think summer isn't done yet!

Latest posts

Back