Bees hate my smoker

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angularity

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
My bees hate my smoker. It's a standard issue Thorne's one, with grey leather bellows. Trouble is, the bees hate it. They've taken to stinging the living daylights out of the bellows, which of course creates a stink of sting smell. Has anyone else seen this? Any idea why it's happened?

My bees hate my smoker. It's a standard issue Thorne's one, with grey leather bellows. Trouble is, the bees hate it. They've taken to stinging the living daylights out of the bellows, which of course creates a stink of sting smell. Has anyone else seen this? Any idea why it's happened?
I saw such an incident in a teaching apiary. The demonstrator lit a brand new smoker, on using it on a hive ,the bellows were jumped on ! It was covered in stings .
the bellows were covered with a type of suede leather .
he threw a cloth over the bellows . Later he bought a spare pair covered with a bee friendly material.

Had this before with a cheap smoker I bought as a beginner with suede like material around the bellows. Since I’ve started covering the bellows with a throw away shower cap, no stinging. Think they’re attracted to the animal skin. Better for protection against disease too as can regularly change the shower cap

Buy yourself some disposable shower caps.
They are really cheap on ebay.
Place one on your smoker bellows before visiting your bees.
It keeps the bellows clean from honey, propolis and helps prevent stings.

Had this before with a cheap smoker I bought as a beginner with suede like material around the bellows. Since I’ve started covering the bellows with a throw away shower cap, no stinging. Think they’re attracted to the animal skin. Better for protection against disease too as can regularly change the shower cap
I like the shower cap idea.

Could try tuning skin so soft or simpler into bellows.
though shower cap…. Or those paper/ plastic blue overshoes you see on crime investigator type wearing ( visit a show house on new building site they give them away) is a more bio secure solution.

Could try tuning skin so soft or simpler into bellows.
though shower cap…. Or those paper/ plastic blue overshoes you see on crime investigator type wearing ( visit a show house on new building site they give them away) is a more bio secure solution.
Another thought on a suitable material to cover, or provide a coating, to leather would be silicone sealant. Silicone sealant (both neutral cure, and acetic cure) can be mixed with mineral turps, to form a brushable consistency. This silicone coating will remain permanently flexible. Use a disposable brush, though, as it will be impossible to clean the brush for future reuse.

Another thought on a suitable material to cover, or provide a coating, to leather would be silicone sealant. Silicone sealant (both neutral cure, and acetic cure) can be mixed with mineral turps, to form a brushable consistency. This silicone coating will remain permanently flexible. Use a disposable brush, though, as it will be impossible to clean the brush for future reuse.
The turps/silicone sealant trick worked perfectly.

At least it did, until I reversed a Land Rover over the smoker this afternoon. In my defence I was distracted by a puppy stealing my keys, but even so.

Latest posts

Back