Bees fanning wings over raised back at front of hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't be fooled, swarms are often 'mild mannered' because they have filled up with honey before swarming and are therefore somewhat tranquilised!!! Don't let this lull you into a false sense of security, wear your gear whenever you go near them, they can turn quickly! Avoid the beginners urge to keep opening and looking, let them settle for at least five days.

Avoid the beginners urge to keep opening and looking, let them settle for at least five days.

lol, that is just what I want to do. I am dying to get back and see how they are doing. I won't, as I know they need leaving to settle in.....but it doesn't stop me wanting to ;)

In the mean time, I am reading "at the hive entrance", If I can't have a peek, then at least I might get some idea of what's going on by watching what they are doing.

When we put them in the hive, you couldn't see the combs as they were covered with bees and I think they had to be transfered as quickly as possible. I can't wait to inspect them :)

Edit: I also won't as there is no way I am confident enough to open a hive without Paul yet.......I think that moment may still be a long way off, and even then I am going to insist none of us do it alone.

Avoid the beginners urge to keep opening and looking, let them settle for at least five days.

Beekeeping does at least teach one patience. Something I'm finding very difficult. My bees are on a hill by the house surrounded by wild flowers and if I put a scope in a dormer window I can watch their comings and goings..... How daft is that? I need an out apiary!!! My husband thinks I'm mad. I probably am.

Beekeeping does at least teach one patience. Something I'm finding very difficult. My bees are on a hill by the house surrounded by wild flowers and if I put a scope in a dormer window I can watch their comings and goings..... How daft is that? I need an out apiary!!! My husband thinks I'm mad. I probably am.

Nah, you're quite sane, unless we are all mad.

I sit for hours watching the hive entrance to see what they are up to, or not.

My Mentor tells me that lots to be learned just by watching what they are doing, bringing in, throwing out.

Had my girls for 4 weeks now and they are amazing! best buy - am totally in awe of their tolerance of me as I learn how to inspect and just what to look for. Hope you enjoy yours as much - what lucky people we are to know bees!

Latest posts

Back