Bees Down Under

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swarm

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
We had some great news today from our Daughter and Son in Law in Australia. They were interviewed by 'The Land' newspaper and have featured in the 'Farming Small Areas' magazine with the front cover and a two page article on their beekeeping. I'm feeling really chuffed and proud.
Here is a pic from the magazine ...

Attachments

• Ifan and bees.jpg
    Ifan and bees.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Fantastic. Well done them, it'll be a boost for their business too.

Well done all of you
Link please

You know you are dealing with a PC numpty. :D The news and some pics are on Loomberah Gold Honey, not sure if there's a link to the article itself but you may know of a way to zoom in so it's readable. I've got a copy printed off and they are sending us the magazine.

Last edited:
She sent us the photos via a download option so we could zoom in and read. I've searched for the magazine online but no joy, I could do a copy/paste job?

Brilliant article, well done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's great to have friends, especially clever ones :) Thanks for finding that REDWOOD, I kept finding back issues.
Found out they've already got 30 nucs on order for Sept, their Spring. The only downside is NZ beeks can get 3 times the price for their honey and that's ordinary honey, not manuka. The Aussies don't seem to value their natural produce enough but I suppose they make up for this by encouraging ventures like this rather than putting a load of obstacles in the way.

How wonderful...Congratulations.

.... The only downside is NZ beeks can get 3 times the price for their honey and that's ordinary honey, not manuka. The Aussies don't seem to value their natural produce enough but I suppose they make up for this by encouraging ventures like this rather than putting a load of obstacles in the way.

I saw some NZ Honey in Aldi last week - "Manuka Type Honey", which was nothing other than bog-standard non-manuka NZ honey but clearly trading on the well-known Manuka name.

As to the sale price of honey in Australia, the problem is that Aussi beekeepers are so professional and produce so much of the stuff, because they can harvest in Spring, Summer, Autumn and bits of winter, that the local market is flooded and prices are depressed. Some of their honeys are exceptional quality and flavour but the developed world is so fixated on the foul-tasting Manuka that little or no Aussi honey is sold outside the country.

Have you visited Tamworth - it's seems pretty far from the main centres of population - my son lives in the Northern Beaches area of Sydney and I spent a month there over Christmas and New Year. I brought a couple of kilos of irradiated pollen back with me to feed to the bees this spring.

All the best for your daughter's enterprise

CVB

We've just had some house sitters from OZ and they say Tamworth is a sleepy old town except for one week a year when it becomes the Country music capital of Australia.

I saw some NZ Honey in Aldi last week - "Manuka Type Honey", which was nothing other than bog-standard non-manuka NZ honey but clearly trading on the well-known Manuka name.

CVB

According to NZ ministry data, the UK purchase 16% of all Manuka produced in NZ.
We sell/buy about 1,800 tonnes of Manooky honey in the UK each year - New Zealand produce about 1,700 tonnes.

So where's the other 1,528 tonnes coming from? and what is it?

We've just had some house sitters from OZ and they say Tamworth is a sleepy old town except for one week a year when it becomes the Country music capital of Australia.

Yes, she's told us about the Country Festival and shown us photos, it's a big deal by all accounts. The Growers Market is a new venture and everyone is supporting it. They live about 30 minutes from Tamworth and driving into town will probably pass a car or two on the way :)

Latest posts

Back