Bees covering hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff4051

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 plus 3 communities
At 11 o'clock today sun shining and warm the bees decided to cover the hive, there were thousands flying and covering hive. I watched for about 20 mins eventually back to normal. I don't believe they swarmed?????????? if not what went on. The hive was queenless swarmed a few weeks ago checked last sat a new queen had emerged the Qcell newly cut open. Any help would be appreciated. The noise was impressive.

I can only guess she was on a mating flight?

It is a guess and I was sure the virgins preferred later afternoon? Perhaps someone can confirm please.

I bet it raised your heart beat just a bit

I watched in case they flew to nearest tree etc. Around the hive the air was shimmering with flying bees, most impressive.

Mine did the same yesterday, after new queen was due to emerge on Monday (except mine upheld the late afternoon principle and went at about 15:30). A neighbour (who is very diligent in such matters) called to say my bees were swarming - which sent husband into swarm retrival mode, only to be faced with a non-coalescing cloud of bees.

The timing is typical - 3-4 days after emergence I believe (weather permitting) - so it looks like you may no longer have a virgin queen!

I hope you are right, it was very warm and sunny morning.

Back