bees barely able to walk some much pollen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louisboy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
hi my bees have been extremly active today every bee nearly with giant yellow orange pollen were are they getting it from ????? not worthynot worthynot worthy:):) ps i live in guildford

I had some very yellow powdery bees today. Prob willow

they have some on there head there are quiet allot of willow trees around them but thought willow was wight not worthy

Saw a willow tree last week in south devon, hundreds of bees all over it, bumble bes as well. quite a sight, I thought. I excitdly pointed it out to my non bee keeper friends, who said 'oh is there, any way as i was saying.....' well at least I thought it was cool.

they have some on there head there are quiet allot of willow trees around them but thought willow was wight not worthy

yellow pollen is from gey willow trees - my bees are absolutely piling it in today - loads of willows all round me here

test mine yesterday and the yellow pollen mine are bringing in is salix capra, or goat willow/pussy willow.....yellow bees almost look like wasps they are so yellow

Ditto here. Lots of willows along local stream 1/4 mile away.

Happy bees.

Eastern Scotland yesterday........MANY colonies taking in willow pollen, yellow and liberal amounts, also dull orange pollen in abundance, even more than the willow, and that is from gorse, stands of which are very yellow right now and there were so many bees on them you could hear the sound, never mind see the bushes heaving with bees. A few bees coming in with red pollen too, cherry family. Also white pollen which is still most likely to be butterbur, as most of our apiaries have some access to this, and it gives good nectar too. It is near the end of its flowering cycle. Also the first bees with the yellow 'paint' or stripe down the face typical of working brassicas, and in this case its either volunteer of spring OSR or charlock, as there is no proper osr flowering yet and this will be a couple of weeks away.

The dandelions were also out in the midday sun on the grassy areas in the W of Dundee yesterday, so that's another spring pollen and nectar source coming on stream. Bright orange pollen loads.

Ne'er cast a clout?

Drove home from gravesend yesterday so I could see the East/West difference - M25 and M4 east - loads of may blossom out hawthorn now green with emerging buds, loads of dandelions around Heathrow. Further West I went; less green shoots, not much may but plenty of Goat/crack/grey/pussy willow. Spoke to a friend when I arrived back home hard frost yesterday morning ( think clout will stay firmly in place for a while yet!)

Still awaiting the blackthorn up here...ten miles either side N/S now. ITLD, dull orange is a good description of gorse pollen...waxy looking. We've had bees on it all through the autumn and winter. Been too busy to chase them about on the hill but the loads down here haven't been that big. I expect something to do with the ridiculous drought.

The dandelions were also out in the midday sun on the grassy areas in the W of Dundee yesterday, so that's another spring pollen and nectar source coming on stream. Bright orange pollen loads.

I just came back from Arbroath, and its got loads of pussy willows out and the bees were going mad on it

my hive

oppend my hive to day to have a quick look to see were all this polen was going and to my amazement i found they had filled one hole frame of pollen and another of necta they are not being fed and atleast 6 frames of eggs!!! my first inspection a few weeks ago they only had 1 and a half frames of brood and some capped honey :):):):)

Latest posts

Back