Bees and Buildings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moggs

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
I have taken five calls lately from people who have found unwanted visitors (mostly honeybees but some bumbles too) in roof spaces, walls and central heating systems. I have visited two but predictably have found little that can be done, pending some removal of roofing felt, bricks, etc. One colony was entering the floor cavity of a three storey building at around the top level of a triple extension ladder (I politely declined further investigation of that one).

How do the members of the forum handle these, in general terms? I usually feel somewhat ineffective in telling these residents that there's not much that can be done, unless the queen can be secured. The news that they might take out bricks and other infrastructure isn't received too well either.

Where are all the swarms in trees these days?

I tell them they are being daft if they are worrying that the bees might end up somehow harming their building or attacking and killing their children.

I tell them they are being daft if they are worrying that the bees might end up somehow harming their building or attacking and killing their children.

The same only I try to make it more palatable and explain a little about the nature of bees and the construction of their colony...

....if and when my arm is twisted and for a fee I remove them if it is at all possible, (two to do in the next week and one completed last weekend).

Chris

I had a case last week where the bees were between a flat felted roof and the ceiling underneath with no access anywhere for vacuuming, trapping or whatever, apart from taking down a section of the ceiling. If it had been my place with my DIY capabilities that is what I would have done. The bloke was averse to calling in pest control until I explained that as the roof was in full sun, on a hot day the whole caboodle would melt, wax and honey, and the mess would then generate other problems - waps etc . I suspect I know what happened but no choice really. Quite sad.

I think you may be wrong about the whole lot melting, that certainly doesn't happen here in the situation you describe and we have far higher summer temperatures and "fierceness" of sun than anywhere in the UK.

Chris

Back