Beekeeping from a wheelchair

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This looks really interesting (as someone with a crap back 😣. But more so the following statement on the website:

The ZEST hive by its design has proven to be functionally free of varroa, nosema and acarine.

Any thoughts or comments because frankly being varroa etc free is very inviting?
Some people might agree others not. So try it?
Get a colony into a zest hive and don’t treat it.
You might be surprised…… either way.

The ZEST hive by its design has proven to be functionally free of varroa, nosema and acarine.

Any thoughts or comments because frankly being varroa etc free is very inviting?

I think when people make comments like that they should provide access to all the relevant research so it can be properly assessed, otherwise it's a statement of no real value. If you don't have sufficient confidence in the research to publish then you don't have any business making such claims in my view.

I notice the website is showing pictures of open feeding on the photos page which is a little concerning, and if those are lightweight cement blocks wrapped around the hives then I know what happens to those when they get soaked by heavy rain and then freeze and it's not helpful :(

James

Useful stuff, thank you all. I'll see if I can dig out that BBKA article. I don't keep the paper copies, but I do have the electronic versions stored somewhere.

James
I’d really try and find the guy if possible and have a chat, also involve your friend in design. Lifting frames out a box can be difficult getting the height for clearance. Also range of movements to lean over will vary from individual and that may affect any choices(height) lower may involve more leaning out. I’d stay well clear of top bar alone! I’ve had a good few long style over the years and they do require feeding in of frames to avoid swarming as prolific bees hit a honey wall fast.

in a long hive the bees use the outer frames to store honey so you get brood sized frames filled wth stores either side of the brood nest.
unless you locate the entrance at one end, then they will put all the stores behind

I think when people make comments like that they should provide access to all the relevant research so it can be properly assessed, otherwise it's a statement of no real value. If you don't have sufficient confidence in the research to publish then you don't have any business making such claims in my view.

I notice the website is showing pictures of open feeding on the photos page which is a little concerning, and if those are lightweight cement blocks wrapped around the hives then I know what happens to those when they get soaked by heavy rain and then freeze and it's not helpful :(

James
This comes to mind with more than one post on here
fb.jpg

The Dartington Long hive was often used suggested for wheelchair beekeeping. Uses standard National frames. I think I might have plans somewhere - I'll search if you are interested...

The Dartington Long hive was often used suggested for wheelchair beekeeping. Uses standard National frames. I think I might have plans somewhere - I'll search if you are interested...
the Dartington used 14x12 frames and used half sized supers for ease of lifting

The hive won’t have anything to with how disease free the colony is, the zest hives a bit of a cobbled together joke. If nothing else it proves bees will live in anything😂
Glad i was suspicious then! 😝 oh well on with the crap back and heavy lifting.

The hive won’t have anything to with how disease free the colony is, the zest hives a bit of a cobbled together joke. If nothing else it proves bees will live in anything😂
I'm not that bothered about whether the Zest hive contributes tothe bees health or resistance to varroa but what I do like is the fact that it is made from lightweight, easily obtained materials that are incredibly good insulators. Can be built by a moron in a few hours and could be easily adapted to take any size frames you desire. Set aside any prejudice caused by his comments about bee health and varroa and it's a really good idea for a static long hive.

now worth more than I paid for it ... nto many useable vehicles you can say that about !

Unfortunately (for those who are after a cheap car) it seems you can say that about almost any vehicle bought more than three years ago these days.

James

James
No the blocks are not cement blocks - he recommends a particular lightweight block that has huge amounts of air in them ... I asked the question of him and apparently moisture penetration is not a problem.

No the blocks are not cement blocks - he recommends a particular lightweight block that has huge amounts of air in them ... I asked the question of him and apparently moisture penetration is not a problem.
I can guarantee they are effectively like a sponge!

Last edited:
unfortunately I fear that it's that kind of beekeeper we all dread
Sadly, the real morons are those beekeepers who just buy an off the shelf starter kit, chuck some bees in it and then think about what they are doing ... the ability to construct something does actually elevate a prospective beekeeper to slightly above the moronic level .... But you knew that ... just finding something to dislike in an off the wall way of keeping bees. My view ... it's a well insuated hive ... my personal and long term experience of well insulated long hives is that bees love them. If it also meets the requirement of the beekeeper then there's nothing to hate. The bloke even has plans on his site now for a Zest hive constructed to take national frames so he's obviously open minded.

Latest posts

Back