Beekeeping day courses

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Current legislation takes all the joy out of living, not to mention doubling and tripling costs of work done by tradesmen or employees. I'm glad I experienced life before the 1970s when I could look at a task, judge how best to do it and use my own nous there and then.
Yes, I remember my father fondly reminiscing on all the impressive, colourful and innovative accidents (some fatal) that he witnessed in his early years on the buildings

Yes, I remember my father fondly reminiscing on all the impressive, colourful and innovative accidents (some fatal) that he witnessed in his early years on the buildings
Usually, I've found, when someone said ' I was only..' , 'It was just...', 'I didn't think it would...' and inevitably it DID. The casualty and fatality levels in the construction industry were horrendous and they led to the current stringent H&S regimes being introduced (I was in the business when they came in). They are onerous at times and almost ridiculous (I've seen a floor layer having to provide a method statement to use some hot water to bend a vinyl upstand) but things have improved and the precautions are there to try and prevent people being injured or killed.

I am putting on a Taster session in my Apiary this year, and found the BBKA Insurance FAQs very useful. See attachments. It will perhaps answer some of your questions, Mark.

Attachments

• BBKA-Insurance-2019-20-FAQ-1.pdf
    143.7 KB · Views: 0
I am putting on a Taster session in my Apiary this year, and found the BBKA Insurance FAQs very useful. See attachments. It will perhaps answer some of your questions, Mark.
none of that will cover a commercial enterprise
Nor will the BBKA insurance in the first place

" The policy is designed for hobbyist BBKA Members, not commercial ventures or bee farmers. With
40 colonies or more you would be eligible for Membership of the Bee Farmers’ Association (BFA).
As such, cover is provided up to a limit of 40 hives per person. If you tend more than 40 hives by
yourself you should apply for membership of the BFA
. "

Probably best not rely on the BBKA insurance for commercial activities ...

For some reason I thought it was 50 hives for BFA membership. Has it changed recently or did I always have it wrong?

James

For some reason I thought it was 50 hives for BFA membership. Has it changed recently or did I always have it wrong?

James
The second.
Originally it allowed people with an arbitrary 30 - 40 hives to join as an intermediate member, the proviso was that you were aiming to increase in the next two or three years. In those days you needed a robust business case to get in and have two referees to vouch for you
At the moment, it has no lower 'entry' figure although the forty is still a good yardstick, as they also take into account other bee connected threads to your business. You no longer need referees although you can have other bee farmers to write in and support your application - sponsors are always good. You just need a sound reason for joining and demonstrate you run it as a business rather than just joining for the insurance and discounted jars etc.
All members are informed of a new application and can write in and object to a person's application if they have a sound, valid reson to support their objection.

James
I got told to come back when I had 60 production colonys.

Does anyone know what insurance cover the local BKA have in place for their summer apiary visits? You’ve paid a membership fee & sometimes a pound for a raffle ticket so not sure whether that counts as a contract?

Does anyone know what insurance cover the local BKA have in place for their summer apiary visits? You’ve paid a membership fee & sometimes a pound for a raffle ticket so not sure whether that counts as a contract?
Typically all operate under charity status so a non for profit case, the ventures aren't for commercial capital enterprises or gain.

Whatever have you been smoking today?
As an example of when it goes horribly wrong.... A bee taster session was being run at an apiary in Australia. One of the attendees took off his suit hood before he was told to, was stung in the face, had an anaphylactic response and died. I know, extreme and an unlikely situation, but it happened. I had to call the emergency services to someone at an apiary last year, not a nice experience.

Belt and braces needed. Include accurate location of apiary that can be provided to emergency services should the need arise.

Hi, I’ve been asked to set up some training days privately, how much should I charge per person
And how would you schedule the day, it’s possible this will include a meal at our pub.
Training would be limited to 6 people

Thanks
Mark
Would anyone on here be interested ?
What did you decide?

I got told to come back when I had 60 production colonys.
I got admitted when I had about 30 of my own and was looking after another 20 for clients. They were more interested in my business plan than the number of hives I had.
If you wanted to join (and I think it would be useful to you) you should have no problem with your recent experience with running yours and your employers hives.

Latest posts

Back