• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Beekeeper's jacket

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

44Whitehall

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
2 (1x local and 1x AMM)
I find my bee suit a bit uncomfortable to work in and so plan to get a jacket. I rather like the idea of getting a good one eg Sherrif or BB Wear.

Is the price worthwhile and do they run annual sales? Indeed if anyone has a spare they want to move-on (size Large)...

Thanks

My brother has a BB Wear zip front jacket, its so easy to put in when a full suit is not needed. I have decided to wait until the National Honey Show to see if there are any offers there.

I found these on ebay, probably imported from china, but the quality is great, very thick canvas type material, and at only £10 inc postage, I bought 3, for anyone visiting me and the bees

Yeh ... But even in beekeeping APPEARANCE MATTERS !!! :icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

I picked a jacket up last January in the sales ... I think it was Paynes... about £30 and it's been brilliant. My bees are pretty easy going but I would not risk just wearing a jacket with bees that are at all stingy - a sting through your trousers will not be as bad as a sting on bare flesh ... but it's a sting !

Any serious beehandling and it's the full suit for me ...

Yeh ... But even in beekeeping APPEARANCE MATTERS !!! :icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

I picked a jacket up last January in the sales ... I think it was Paynes... about £30 and it's been brilliant. My bees are pretty easy going but I would not risk just wearing a jacket with bees that are at all stingy - a sting through your trousers will not be as bad as a sting on bare flesh ... but it's a sting !

Any serious beehandling and it's the full suit for me ...

your telling me, my mrs calls me a minion when I wear it :icon_204-2:

and I'll 2nd the full suit too, I got a little too comfortable chucking on the jacket only when over my woodland, and tried doing a major hive swap over in just the jacket, paid highly when one of the girls kissed my leg through my thin trousers, so jacket for quick inspections only

I first bought a smock when I started, then I discovered, painfully, that I suffered from the condition known as "Builder's Bum".

Since then it has been the full suit.

I first bought a smock when I started, then I discovered, painfully, that I suffered from the condition known as "Builder's Bum".

Since then it has been the full suit.

This is my problem with them, but good for when you are watching demos and not bending over much, but then the full suit makes my shirt ride up and trousers ride down after a while which is uncomfortable. My answer is to wear braces under the full suit to keep my trousers up and my shirt down !

Bunch of wusses.. I have only had a jacket - the same one - since I started in 2010.

Baggy trousers and a shirt are all that is needed..

And Panoply mechanics overalls which are beeproof..

Wuss? Hope he doesn't swell up when stung. Rings on fingers are not appropriate wear for beekeeping for most.

Inappropriate to put up poor pics which may cause new beeks considerable aggravation, for a start.

British does cost more than sweat shop wear, but special orders and repair services are plusses, as well as a guaranteed quality

I've never used anything but the 'top half' bee jacket (should be called a pullover?) with a pair of over-trousers (over my boots and with elasticted bottoms, as well). Stings swell up in my case, so I would never ever go beekeeping wearing rings on my fingers.

good advise from olly about wearing rings and mobile phones are a no no unless you like your screen full of propolis and wax, besides that it's a dam nuisance when it starts ringing in the middle of an inspection.

Is the price worthwhile Yes
and do they run annual sales? I believe they have offers at BeeTradeX / Spring Convention

I use a BBWear full suit and purchased a cheap 1/2suit......zips are a pain in the backside so don't use often. Not the best purchase and if I buy another would invest in a better quality 1/2suit.

Stings swell up in my case, so I would never ever go beekeeping wearing rings on my fingers.

:iagree:

Having spent a very worried, and very painful, night when I was first stung on a finger I'd agree that wearing rings probably isn't wise, but then I'd been wearing that particular ring for a good few years. It had worn a nice dent in my finger and was near impossible to get off even without a bee sting to make it worse.

I got mine resized, it didn't cost much.

As for suits - I've seen people wearing coveralls and a veiled jacket over the top, just a jacket, or just a veil.

The main thing is to be confident in what you're wearing, and also confident that you can deal with problems. For me, although I did start off with jacket and trousers, it now means wearing a full suit because bees managed to find their way upwards and into the jacket and I don't like being stung on the back of my neck.

Back