Bee stings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anecdotally I heard beekeepers are supposed to suffer less severe reactions over the years and even develop resistance to age related conditions such as arthritis.
Now if that was true for dementia, my nurses would be unemployed..o_O:poop:

I react less than I used to, got a dozen+ stings to the hands a while ago collecting a swarm from 20 foot up a wobbly tree - I was concentrating more on not falling than avoiding stings! Hands painlessly swelled slightly for a couple of days.
Interestingly an immunologist once suggested that my most likely time to have a major reaction was after a long period away from the bees ie without a sting, and then getting stung. He was less concerned by regular exposure. I guess that may mean that early spring inspections are a risk.
If I get to chat to another immunologist I'll ask for their opinion.

Like you Neil a sting is lost on me after a while, not had many this year, think about three possibly.
I have had a couple of incidences this year where I have taken 30+ stings. Those hives now have much calmer queens.

Iv been stung badly a few times which is why I wear aus armor now , most of my colonies are docile now ..
I use to get a little itching and swelling in my first season beekeeping now it doesn't bother me too much But last weekend I got stung on the arm and a little while latter I felt zapped of energy...this week I got stung on the leg and it almost felt like I was getting a panic attack and flushed...
It would be a nightmare for me to stop this wonderful life of beekeeping ... I'm gonna have a chat with my gp tomorrow

Iv been stung badly a few times which is why I wear aus armor now , most of my colonies are docile now ..
I use to get a little itching and swelling in my first season beekeeping now it doesn't bother me too much But last weekend I got stung on the arm and a little while latter I felt zapped of energy...this week I got stung on the leg and it almost felt like I was getting a panic attack and flushed...
It would be a nightmare for me to stop this wonderful life of beekeeping ... I'm gonna have a chat with my gp tomorrow

Silent Kounis syndrome can produce symptoms akin to a panic attack and is caused by mast cells (part of the immune system) reacting to bee stings (without a marked allergic response) by releasing chemical triggers in the body that can cause spasm or constriction of blood vessels leading to palpitations and a sensation of panic.

I get significant localised swelling from bee stings so wear double marigolds to help avoid them. If I do get stung I take Chlorphenamine (antihistamine that only lasts for 4 hours but is good for acute allergic reactions) for the reaction. Eurax cream works remarkably well to stop the itching (supermarkets sell it) and stops me scratching the sting area and making it worse. I don't seem to be getting more or less reaction as the years pass, but probably only get 4/5 stings a year.

A beekeeper I know finds his lip swells whenever he gets stung anywhere on his body :unsure:

I wish I could find the link but there is a youtube vid of a chap explaining how his daughter got stung and went into shock and he went into and researched the whole reason for it. He concluded that leaving a bee suit with venom/stings in/on it round the house could have caused dust that his daughter breathed in, causing the allergic reaction when stung. He firmly believed that getting stung every month or 2 kept him from having the same reaction.
My tolerance has certainly improved over time and I take a pop from them every month or 2 during the season. The worst reaction seems to be the first one in the season

I wish I could find the link but there is a youtube vid of a chap explaining how his daughter got stung and went into shock and he went into and researched the whole reason for it. He concluded that leaving a bee suit with venom/stings in/on it round the house could have caused dust that his daughter breathed in, causing the allergic reaction when stung. He firmly believed that getting stung every month or 2 kept him from having the same reaction.
My tolerance has certainly improved over time and I take a pop from them every month or 2 during the season. The worst reaction seems to be the first one in the season
Not sure I'm brave enough to take regular stings just to find out it doesn't work...although if it did work:unsure:

I believe that to be true so I don't keep my suit in the house and I wash it myself, on its own. There is evidence that families of beekeepers are at risk of developing an allergy due to low levels of venom ingested as dust from contaminated suits.

Now and again I get a sting (usually arms, hands or fingers) and it might itch for a few hours or a day or two.

Sometimes I don’t feel much at all after the initial few minutes.

Other times it swells bad and itches like mad. Luckily I’ve had no other issues, and hopefully it remains that way.

I thought the level of reaction was down to the age of the worker. The venom is more potent when workers are at their peak as a forager.

Are they generally easy to get from your GP?

How long do they last?

And what do they cost?
My GP prescribe Epipen for me as I explained I’m a beekeeper and would like to have one just in case.
every time it has a different expiry date. I simply request another before the one I have expires.
no cost in Scotland.

Not sure I'm brave enough to take regular stings just to find out it doesn't work...although if it did work:unsure:
Although it was a long time ago, I distinctly remember my first sting. It was my first visit to a hive with my future father in law (first time his daughter had introduced me to him - so had to be brave!). It was like a mini red hot poker - for 10 seconds, then less than a stinging nettle. Next day, no mark.
Now, barely notice.
If the theory is correct, and shock is preventable, full protection is not a great idea.

My GP prescribe Epipen for me as I explained I’m a beekeeper and would like to have one just in case.
every time it has a different expiry date. I simply request another before the one I have expires.
no cost in Scotland.
Free in Wales. I keep one at every yard. Should be part of your mitigation strategy after health and safety review (you do one of these don't you everyone? Your business insurance probably depends on it)

This is eactly why I am a full-armored keeper. Gloves boots, cap, sleeve protectors.

I just try to reduce stings as far as possible, I know I wont stop them all.

Only been stung once this season, 4 got under my not properly zipped up vial. I managed to squash 3 of them, the other had gone ontop of my cap and was later releced. But I got stung through the viel by another bee in the panic.
I think this happens quite often it's happened to me once this season.

I think this happens quite often it's happened to me once this season.

The zip jammed so felt like it was done up, but there was a little hole. I slipped with a frame and rolled some bees, they were not happy. My bees had been so chilled my smoker had gone out through lack of use, so thought I would put the hive back together quickly with no smoke. So many bees were buzzing around my head I thought I saw one inside my veil, but was not sure. Then I realized there was one, and found 2 more while trying to squash the first. It was whilst doing this I got stung on the chin from one on the outside. The final one was on top of my cap buzzing like mad. But I could not go back in the house as I now had a personal swarm.

So I tried to light the smoker but my lighter broke. So I had to shout to the miss to throw one out the window. I tried with the new lighter but that was out of gas. The miss was trying to find another lighter, when I realized I could use spark from the one with no gas to light the other. As soon as I put a few puffs in the air the little gang that was following me cleared off.

I was able to release the last bee when I took my suit off.

The experience scared me a bit tbh. I had never had bees under my veil before and have never been followed like that before. I think they locked on the the scent of the bees I squashed.

So lessons learnt, I make sure suit is done up, and keep extra lighters on standby.

The wellys were added to the line up after dropping a super last season. It was foundation that had only been on a few days, and all the frames rolled out. I got stung 3 times in exactly the same spot on the ankle. The stings were not to bad at the time but seem to have left a little dry patch of skin that I am not sure will completly recover.

Latest posts

Back