bee space conversion

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nematode

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
If I want to convert a bottom bee space brood box to a top bee space is it simply a matter of adding a 6mm strip of wood around the top? Assuming that I am never going to put anything under it apart from aan open mesh floor or maybe a temporary set up for uniting.

Begs the question why? I don't know the answer but just wondered what the advantage would be!

Yes that’s about right 6 – 8mm.

Or remove the frame runners and router the rebate lower by 6-8mm. You can then fill in the bottom rebate if you wish to just in case.

Yes that’s about right 6 – 8mm.

Or remove the frame runners and router the rebate lower by 6-8mm. You can then fill in the bottom rebate if you wish to just in case.
that's what I've done on my commercial brood boxes, and just assembled the supers as top bee space.

Begs the question why? I don't know the answer but just wondered what the advantage would be!

top bee space is faster to work for the keeper, and less chance of decapitating / crushing bees when replacing supers.
( see Ted Hooper )

is it simply a matter of adding a 6mm strip of wood around the top?

As you should have realised by now - it most certainly is not. A top space box is the same height as a bottom bee space box.

Somewhat predictable reply Rab

I would guess the op knows this and if you take as much time to read the 2nd part of the post as you have selected to highlight the first the op knows they are adding to the box height and just looking for a simple and easy adjustment.

You are partly right Tom. I guessed he/she might be wanting the minimalistic answer, but it will still have that bottom bee space. Assuming nothing is going under it or it is not going to go over anything is the real danger, I suppose. A winter super put under may well get severely fixed as would any risk of needing to double brood.

I would agree that with a commercial there is much less risk of that, but it is always there (several(?) it seems have overwintered with an extra box), and those with other boxes may well get caught out if not aware of the difference in height. I use two (top space) shallows as a 14 x 12 - it works - but I am well aware it really needs an eke to make it a proper 14 x 12 and those frames will not tolerate a shallow National solid floor.
Get by, but not converted. Probaly my wording was too strong. My apologies are due on this one.

RAB

Thanks everyone,

I am all top bee space apart from a brood box I was given. I intend to have it for an AS then uniting before the winter. Just to have in case it is needed, and not for any long term use. I have fixed a 6mm strip on the top and stored it away.

Can any one tell me the best way off mixing top space supers with bottom space BB?

Most of my boxes are bottom beespace commercial BB, but i have a few commercial supers with top bee space.

I was told once by an old beekeeper i could add a rebate to the QE which would in effect give too bee spaces.

Never tried as not sure it would work.

Putting a top space super on a bottom space brood box means you have effectively no space between boxes.
SO
you use a framed wire excluder with 8/9mm each side giving you a bee space each side of the excluder.

Can any one tell me the best way off mixing top space supers with bottom space BB?

Most of my boxes are bottom beespace commercial BB, but i have a few commercial supers with top bee space.

I was told once by an old beekeeper i could add a rebate to the QE which would in effect give too bee spaces.

Never tried as not sure it would work.
All the wire queen excluders I have seen have a frame, some with a beespace one side, some both sides. I have added a one side beespace frame to some of my plastic queen excluders which gives the bees less opportunity to propolise it.

I'd be thinking of the simplest way to avoid mistakes. The problem with a couple of top space boxes among bottom space ones is when they are stacked to leave no space between them. I'd probably convert any odd ones to bottom space by nailing a batten under the frame runners, that is convert them to bottom space.

Thank you everyone, sorry for hijacking this thread.

I could pack the runners on the top space supers. Converting them bottom bee space.

Latest posts

Back