Bee imports continue to rise

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Beefriendly

Just been send the following information from the NBU regarding reported queens and bees imported into the UK this year.
Seems that disenchantment with local mongrels and the likes is increasing.

This is copied and pasted from the email I received.
"The number of queens imported into England, Scotland and Wales from other EU countries continues to rise year on year. Import numbers for 2017 at time of writing are as follows (2016 figures in brackets for comparison):
• Queens imported from the EU 15,210 (13,924)
• Packages of Bees imported from the EU 1,776 (1,924)
• Of which from Italy 1,310 (1,354)
• Nucs imported from the EU 19 (23)
• Full colonies imported from the EU 0 (0)
• Queens from Third Countries 525 (Argentina) (335, also Argentina)"

Just been send the following information from the NBU regarding reported queens and bees imported into the UK this year.

"The number of queens imported into England, Scotland and Wales from other EU countries continues to rise year on year. Import numbers for 2017 at time of writing are as follows (2016 figures in brackets for comparison):

Packages from Italy?
Isn’t that a bit silly?

We are asking for trouble importing from Italy especially as small hive beetle is rampant in some areas as reported recently. It's only a matter of time before beekeepers have another problem to deal with.

By itself, that is a very weak analysis.

If the overall demand for bees has increased by a greater proportion than the increases you are reporting, then you are simply wrong.

The figures by themselves just as easily support the case that disenchantment with learning to be a proper (improvement) beekeeper is increasing, with a corresponding decline in the standard of beekeeping.

By itself, that is a very weak analysis.
I though prefixing it with "seems" would give the irony away.... but no, there's always one thick paddle out there.
Can't argue that there are more imports than ever, for whatever reasons.
Sorry I'll rephrase that....most of you won't disagree that the figures say there are more reported imports than ever before :D

Seems that disenchantment with local mongrels and the likes is increasing

Usual carp being dished out to enrage debate I suspect?

I believe these figures being bandied about without any reference to their actual source also includes bees ( mainly bumbles) that are imported into the UK to be used as "pollinators" for soft fruit such as strawberries... and worse... for bumblebeehouses sold into the "gardening" world...
( Buy bunblebeehouse for Christmas present and send away for bumblebees to populate it in the Spring... We have all seen the ads!)

Argentina.... shock Horror... isn't that the place where all the aggressive KILLER BEES come from?

Yeghes da

I though prefixing it with "seems" would give the irony away.... but no, there's always one thick paddle out there.
Can't argue that there are more imports than ever, for whatever reasons.
Sorry I'll rephrase that....most of you won't disagree that the figures say there are more reported imports than ever before :D

Irony - the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.

So you weren't being ironic at all, since you say 'Can't argue that there are more imports than ever...' Especially when you have known form on the subject.

You clearly don't even know what the word means, so hardly in a position to cast aspersions on other people's intellect, are you ?

Last edited:
I believe these figures being bandied about without any reference to their actual source also includes bees ( mainly bumbles) that are imported into the UK to be used as "pollinators"

I shall post you the original pdf if you wish; it's the regional letter from our bee inspector for the NE and originates from Animal and Plant Health Agency written by Ivor Flaxman and refers to honey bee queens imports reported by registered members to the bee unit. The numbers may be higher if if you take into account members who didn't register their imports.
But don't let the facts get in the way of your misguided opinion.

Irony - the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.

So you weren't being ironic at all, since you say 'Can't argue that there are more imports than ever...'

You clearly don't even know what the word means, so hardly in a position to cast aspersions on other people's intellect, are you ?

Ohh dear don't stop taking the meds!
Are you after the 10 minute or the full thirty minute debate....?

I shall post you the original pdf if you wish; it's the regional letter from our bee inspector for the NE and originates from Animal and Plant Health Agency written by Ivor Flaxman and refers to honey bee queens imports reported by registered members to the bee unit. The numbers may be higher if if you take into account members who didn't register their imports.
But don't let the facts get in the way of your misguided opinion.

We saw the report probably before you!

I am informed that bees included bumblebees as EU does not make a distinction.

Yeghes da

So you weren't being ironic at all, since you say 'Can't argue that there are more imports than ever...' Especially when you have known form on the subject.

:thanks:
Me thinks Uncle Betty has tumbled you!

Nos da

It woUldale be interesting to know how many of these are new beekeepers or long established...

Is it a phenomena of online shopping?

We saw the report probably before you!

I am informed that bees included bumblebees as EU does not make a distinction.
The figures refer to honey bee queens, and as most bombus are imported as colonies are highly unlikely to be included in the "queens imported".
The increase in imports reconciles well the previous bee units dissertation on "Imports and Exports of Honey bees", I presume if they wanted to include bumble bees it would have been stated. These are the UK's Bee units figures, not the EU's.
http://www.nationalbeeunit.com/downloadDocument.cfm?id=1279

9984 in 2014, 10,691 in 2015 etc.

This is rapidly turning into a shoot the messenger farce......shame really as the figures give an interesting insight into what actually happens in the real bee world.
Not entirely unexpected, given the vested interest of the antagonists.

Last edited:
It woUldale be interesting to know how many of these are new beekeepers or long established...

Is it a phenomena of online shopping?

I think a lot are purchased by "distributors" to sell on ( often it seems as UK bees!)... many also used by pro honeyfarmers to requeen and or make up losses in their businesses.

Sadly also a lot to make up losses from the hobbyists who possibly have bought bees unsuitable for the hobbyist's needs that then did not make it through the winter.
Not exactly a very sustainable or environmentally sound practice bearing in mind the propensity of importing exotic and novel virus along with them.

I used to requeen every two years and keep imported so called Buckfast bees

I DO NOT NOW !!

Nos da

The figures refer to honey bee queens, and as most bombus are imported as colonies are highly unlikely to be included in the "queens imported".
The increase in imports reconciles well the previous bee units dissertation on "Imports and Exports of Honey bees", I presume if they wanted to include bumble bees it would have been stated. These are the UK's Bee units figures, not the EU's.
http://www.nationalbeeunit.com/downloadDocument.cfm?id=1279

9984 in 2014, 10,691 in 2015 etc.

This is rapidly turning into a shoot the messenger farce......shame really as the figures give an interesting insight into what actually happens in the real bee world.
Not entirely unexpected, given the vested interest of the antagonists.

“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”
― Aldous Huxley........

Nos da

These are the percentage change on last year but thats not enough to establish a trend
109.24%
92.31%
96.75%
82.61%
100%
156.72%
The biggest change seems to be in the number of queens imported from Argentina

but no, there's always one thick paddle out there.
don't think that by changing one letter that we can't tell the nasty racist inferrence in your post

Ohh dear don't stop taking the meds!
Are you after the 10 minute or the full thirty minute debate....?
Didn't take you long to shed your scales and revert to your default obnoxiousness did it.

It appears there are still a lot of lazy, quick fix beekeepers. Shame.

And a few bigots on here intent on causing unpleasantness it seems.

Latest posts

Back