Bee ID

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cussword

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Still just the 1
I have two, I think types of bee. In two hives I have the swarm that I rescued :rolleyes: last year and split. The queen is a pale leathery colour, her daughter is black. I was told that she was a Carniolan. My other queen and nuc I bought as " black bees" the queen is black but the workers have yellow stripes.
Also the first two will propolise everything, while the last, hardly at all.
Any ideas on identification? Please?

Most queens are so crossbred that you will never be able to give them an identity other than mongrel, that's why some people, not me, buy in new known queens every year. I work on the theory that mongrels are used to my area and conditions so provided they are not angry beasts they will do me!
E

So, they're all mongrels then? The 'black' Bees are quite aggressive and followed me 20 yards. Do you think that it's just because it's the beginning of the season, first time opened etc?
They are also the hive that hardly used propolis.

the trouble with trying to buy or breed a bee with particular genetic characteristics is that, to start with, there is no such thing as a pure strain of bee to start from, even if you could keep your queens and drones isolated from external mongrels.

This is a pretty good page explaining just how complex bee genetics is:

http://www.glenn-apiaries.com/principles.html

Back