BEE Feeders

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Contact feeders deliver liquid feed straight onto the bees. A lot of people are happy with them but beware that they can empty onto the frames if it suddenly gets cold. The few times I tried a frame feeder a lot of bees drowned. People paint them inside with sand added, fill them with netting or sticks to avoid this. I have given up on these entirely and now prefer a rapid feeder.

For giving winter stores to a nuc a frame feeder is good. They hold more than most contact feeders and with a contact feeder you need a double nuc (vertical) with the feeder in the top which gives more space for bees to have to heat up.

In fact, in a nuc at any time I think frame feeders are easier.

As I already have frame feeders for nucs I also use them in the main hive when needed.

Providing stores in main hives for winter is via a big ashforth/miller type feeder.

I like frame feeders as they are very good for building small colonies as the feed is within the warmth of the brood box and more likely to be utilised by a struggling colony. They are especially good for nucs.
Contact feeders should only really be used on colonies robust enough to deal with a dowsing of syrup when the feeder goes on and to take the feed relatively quickly. Also, as Eric0.5b pointed out, they can sometimes loose a bit of suction on cold mornings, so only colonies big enough to quickly mop up a spill and defend from any possible onset of robbing should have them on. Saying that, that doesnt sound too good for contact feeders, whereas the reality is they are probably the most commonly used feeders and thousands of beekeepers use them trouble free.

i prefer rapid feeders .
you can refill them without disturbing the bees and as long as you dribble a bit of syrup down when you first put them on they work well.

i have some large ashforth/miller type for winter feeding.

i haven't used frame feeders so i can't comment on those.

Contact feeders deliver liquid feed straight onto the bees. A lot of people are happy with them but beware that they can empty onto the frames if it suddenly gets cold. The few times I tried a frame feeder a lot of bees drowned. People paint them inside with sand added, fill them with netting or sticks to avoid this. I have given up on these entirely and now prefer a rapid feeder.

:iagree:

Contact feeders are awful. Changes in temperature and air pressure, especially in summer, frequently makes them douse the bees below with syrup which can then drip right through the OMF and attact uninvited guests to a feast. Miller/Ashforth by far the best but rapid feeders placed above the CB hole, is easier to manage and refill as required, even if they do require an empty super under the roof to house them.

not sure as not sure what is what on frames? so playing by ear. any one got a pic showing the difference?

Have you any idea what you are doing?

Have you done a course?

Have you joined a local association?

Bees need careful management.

I suggest you get in touch with your local branch of the BBKA and ask someone to come and help you urgently!!

Have you any idea what you are doing?

Have you done a course?

Have you joined a local association?

Bees need careful management.

I suggest you get in touch with your local branch of the BBKA and ask someone to come and help you urgently!!

:iagree: with this polite and measured comment.

:yeahthat:Coventry Bee Boy... you have started a lot of threads in a short time. I think that, for your sake and for your bees, you need someone close at hand to guide you. At least that will get you started, then you can start enjoying your bees. :welcome:

not sure as not sure what is what on frames? so playing by ear. any one got a pic showing the difference?

Ok not perfect as this was taken in high summer from a hive I was looking after as the owner was unable to inspect following major surgery and I was photographing frames to send to her and this one was almost perfect.

So

Top left the white capping’s are capped honey, they are not always this white but generally white to yellow.

The biscuit cappings in a circular shape around the frame are worker brood cappings (female)

In the center of the frame you will see pearly white grubs they are worker larvae.

Bottom left raised lumpy same colour as worker brood cappings, they are drone brood (the boys male bees, drones)

Just to the right of the drone brood hard to see, but some eggs, small dots of white in the base of the cells.

In the center and towards the top of the frame just under the sealed worker brood the Queen.

You will also see some of the cells filled with what looks like water and this is fresh nectar.

You know i don't usually get het up about things here but you have been given so much advice and I know that at least one person has offered to go look at your set up. Let them help you, for heaven's sake. You don't have a clue.

Back