Bed time..

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clemcook

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi guys,

I need to move one of my Nucs but am worried about leaving foragers behind, I don't see my hives daily so don't know when they generally go in for the night,

Its dark really late ATM and I don't fancy driving and walking around the fields late a night.

Need to do it ASAP.

Thanks
cx

I moved a nuc 2 weeks ago.. Even shutting them in at 9:30pm there were still stragglers on the outside and coming in..

Early in the morning is best. Bees don't start flying till later
E

I am in Swanwick and mine would not be up by then. It will depend on how much sun is on the hive. If night is better for you, can you find a buddy to assist

I am in Swanwick and mine would not be up by then. It will depend on how much sun is on the hive. If night is better for you, can you find a buddy to assist

I'm in Locks heath :) I'll go in the morning then, the bees are kept in Titchfield

Many thanks 😊

You still won't get them all........
The ones that stay out in the field all night won't return until the day warms up.

As long as there are other hives in the apiary it's rarely a problem (or even noticed) as they will go there.

I find that over the last few weeks the bees in my garden have always been busy on the odd occasion that I’m up at 7am. I’d recommend 6am at the latest at this time of year.

Admittedly we were in the really hot weather but my rape hives were not in bed at 3.30 am, I left a small nuc colony behind to let the stragglers beg their way in.

4 am ... cant be earlier as you can get the late night revellers avoiding the honey ripening late shift by staying out on the landing board

Water spray soon gets them inside.

Interesting JohnT didn't know anyone made them.
I shall have to give them a try.

Looks useful. Just remember not to put it in back to front!

Latest posts

Back