Because of the long winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sadders

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
And presumably a longer than average bloodless period, will the winter cycle of varroa be affected? For the better or the worse?

A researcher Seppo Korpela says that varroa will die in winter at same ratio as bees.

Last edited:
And presumably a longer than average bloodless period, will the winter cycle of varroa be affected? For the better or the worse?

Nope, but it'll be a godsend when tropliaelaps mites reach Britain & Ireland.

Nope, but it'll be a godsend when tropliaelaps mites reach Britain & Ireland.

is that similar to citizens from Romania and Bulgaria getting full access next year?

Not quite sure what's wrong with the link, it takes me to a generic page.

That's a really good, concise, balanced and thorough article about Varroa - should be complusory reading for any new beek. Best I've read on Varroa - just the right level of words and easy to read.

Sorry, but I beg to differ.

It seems to have no mention whatsover of our commonest and most effective controls - Thymol (as in Apiguard, etc) and Oxalic Acid.
Very bad idea to suggest such a document as being instructive.

Very, very much better to point new beeks towards the latest edition of DEFRA's "Managing Varroa". https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/beebase/downloadDocument.cfm?id=16

Last edited:
I would say that that article is not worth to read. It is full of mistakes and old attitudes.

University of Florida....In that climate varroa is really harmfull because they have not brood brake.

It seems to me that the writer has not much experince in beekeeping. He had collected all kind of things together which have no value in beekeeping practice.

Sorry my opinion...

Stupid things

- calculating with sticky board - waste of time.
- economical treshold 3000 mites....it must be under 1000
- all text what he is referring are over 10 years old
- mesh floor protects from mites ----false
- like all text in USA, they do not give value to European reseach even if it is 10 years ahead that of USA.

A write says: "Probably the most successful of these programs includes the Russian honey bee program headed by the United States Department of Agriculture honey bee "

In Europe researches have made and Russian bee has not got applauses in Europe.

"Because of the reduced efficacy of chemicals used to control varroa, attention has turned to the application of non-chemical methods for limiting varroa populations."

That is true in Florida level, but in countries, where is a good brood brake, chemical control has been a succes 25 years and still be.

"Turned application.".. 20 years, but it has not helped much.

If I would follow these advices my hives would be dead next year.

Last edited:
http://www.coloss.org/beebook/II/varroa

Standard methods for varroa research

When European Varroa Group finished its work, they started to do manual, how to do varroa reseach because in reseaches have not allways compratatible to each others.

Varroa is well known. During last 10 years they have not found new ways to kill varroa. Varroa group's work has been accepted very slowly. In Canada it too 10 years to make it "official" and in UK guys are warned to go into jail if they do according EU varroa group.

You must cost £ 5 / hive to business for your freedom. If you make home made treatment like £ 0.50 /hive, you can only wait for a officer who will come and burn you hives.

Many countries make breeding work to find varroa resistant bee strains but they have not found.

No one want to speak that varroa evelopes too. It follows like a shark a ship.
It is found that varroa is worse than 20 years ago.

But what you can do is that don't spoil a good varroa treatment business

Latest posts

Back