BBKA magazine recommending open feeding?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My second issue appeared yesterday.
I know nothing about Bees having only had them since last May.
I may apply for a job there.
My reply to every question would be
" That would be an ecumenical matter........but probably need a shook swarm."
You could have a long and illustrious career in front of you!

My second issue appeared yesterday.
I know nothing about Bees having only had them since last May.
I may apply for a job there.
My reply to every question would be
" That would be an ecumenical matter........but probably need a shook swarm."
You should have been Pope, but the Jesuits had it all stitched up!😂

There’s a difference between how bees react to an open feeder and a natural source. So no it’s not the same logic!
As to only weak hives being affected….. would that be mating nucs…. Five frame nucs or just the smaller colonies. Are you suggesting this is a possible justification.
Wasps are a pain but in lager apiaries bees can be just as predatory or dangerous to other colonies perhaps even more so. After all you’ll notice a wasp going in the front door but another bee?
I think you are unintentionally misunderstanding my position. I have already stated that I am not in favour of open feeding, for the reasons I have already explained. I merely wish to challenge some of the established opinions on here, such that open feeding, in February as suggested in the article, would automatically pose a threat to established hives in the form of disease transmission and robbing.
I see very little evidence for this, although it does not alter the fact that such a technique would be ineffective and wasteful of time and resource should it be attempted.
The battle lines seem to be firmly drawn between this forum and the BBKA, and I, for one, prefer not to take sides, so will not be writing to the editor or anyone else, or signing a petition of disapproval as suggested below.
One thing that has always struck me is the extremely slow evolutionary pace of beekeeping habits. We mostly use hives and equipment that were designed in the 19th century, or earlier. Indeed, most of the gear I use would be instantly recognised by my grandfather, who kept his bees during and after WW2. So it is not surprising that some outdated practices still remain, and occasionally appear in print, both on here and in other places.
If anyone feels strongly enough about the BBKA and its attitudes, the logical approach would be to join and seek high office in order to effect change from within. Alternatively, one could remain here expressing righteous indignation and suggesting alternative uses for the pages of the offending magazine. Given the nature of the human species, I rather suspect I can guess which way this one will go.

If anyone feels strongly enough about the BBKA and its attitudes, the logical approach would be to join and seek high office in order to effect change from within
we've heard that b*ll*x before - from the usual suspects it doesn't work, they operate a system akin to a closed shop and have it all neatly stitched up
I suspect what we have here is just another shill

@essex b's

As a group we are not snails. Progress here is swift.
I’m curious? How many changes have you made to your beekeeping since 2011? Or if you were new to the craft has it guided any of your decisions?

I would defend this forums right to be Indignant righteous or not.

Problem with printing such open feeding advice in a mag /comic, albeit in February will plant the seed for some to do so any other time of the year.

Yes and having not covered one super properly I can vouch for the bedlam that ensued.
I chased the robbers away but for an hour or so afterwards there was the said bedlam at every entrance

As a complete beginner to beekeeping, this actually really worries me. It worries me because I might not know what is right and what is wrong, especially if it comes from an apparent authority on the subject. This could be true of the magazine, the conventions, and potentially even the affiliated local societies. I'd be gutted if I did something that harmed my colonies in the first year.
If in doubt .... ask ....on here ...you might get more than one solution to a problem but you will be able to consider your options. Never be afraid to ask ...

@essex b's

As a group we are not snails. Progress here is swift.
I’m curious? How many changes have you made to your beekeeping since 2011? Or if you were new to the craft has it guided any of your decisions?

I would defend this forums right to be Indignant righteous or not.
I appreciate your curiosity. I started my beekeeping around 2010, although it was a long held intention for most of my life. Of course, my methodologies have changed over the years, mostly as a result of learning from my mistakes, but also with valuable inputs from here and other printed sources. The basic principals remain the same; namely keeping them disease free and robust, preventing swarming and taking a crop of honey, whilst leaving them enough food for the winter months. I rarely feed them, open or otherwise, as the climate of Essex usually ensures enough late season honey to see them through to spring. I am an (inactive) member of the BBKA, as well as of this forum, preferring not to post often due to the overly confrontational nature these exchanges often seem to inspire.
I would defend your right to be indignant with my life, and extend the same rights to others, as we can only progress through reasoned debate

we've heard that b*ll*x before - from the usual suspects it doesn't work, they operate a system akin to a closed shop and have it all neatly stitched up
I suspect what we have here is just another shill
I admit I had to look up the definition of the word shill; not only does it not apply to me, but it is also mildly insulting. I won't ask for an apology since one would not be forthcoming anyway. I can only express my regret, but not surprise, that you have dragged the debate down to your usual level, and if I can pre-empt your next post, I am not a "snowflake" either

All beekeeping is local, and for balance a good video on open feeding bees from a very well informed and expert beekeeper. Density of apiaries is key to open feeding so while in England it might not be a good idea, in some parts of the world it is not, nor does it create a problem.

I don't think it is fair or right to suggest someone is doing something wrong without trying it yourself and producing a magazine is one of those really tuff challenges. I know this editor is the third in nearly as many months. Trying to get people to submit articles on a regular basis is a nightmare. Is it better to produce a magazine with articles that cause debate and questions or not to produce a magazine at all? It certainly isn't something that should cause us to name call and sink to unnecessary depths. A debate is good, we all benefit from other views but to be personal because others don't share your views is a little shallow..... Don't you think?

As a complete beginner to beekeeping, this actually really worries me. It worries me because I might not know what is right and what is wrong, especially if it comes from an apparent authority on the subject
it's pretty easy when it comes to the BBKA comic - it is renowned for churning out lacklustre and inaccurate contributions, if it's printed in there, assume it's bad advice then do some research to either confirm or prove it correct.

It is rather amusing though when the usual suspects quickly scrabble to defend the rag when in reality they have nothing to offer in its defence

it's pretty easy when it comes to the BBKA comic - it is renowned for churning out lacklustre and inaccurate contributions, if it's printed in there, assume it's bad advice then do some research to either confirm or prove it correct.

It is rather amusing though when the usual suspects quickly scrabble to defend the rag when in reality they have nothing to offer in its defence
Let's face it, if it is bad advice it is posted and ridiculed on here within minutes! 😆😂😂😂😂

Let's face it, if it is bad advice it is posted and ridiculed on here within minutes! 😆😂😂😂😂
And rightly so there’s nothing wrong with calling out bad advice particularly in a publication that’s aimed at new or inexperienced beekeepers. The fact that it wasn’t pulled up is not the best sign in its self.
The world won’t collapse if you open feed hives but it’s just bad practice and very easily lead to creating issues otherwise easily avoided.

Let's face it, if it is bad advice it is posted and ridiculed on here within minutes
precisely - it's not up to me to fix it, but it is beholden on us to highlight their idiocy and try and make sure we steer people less knowledgable away from such nonsense and hope nobody else follows their bad advice. Making excuses and frantic 'whataboutery' is all well and good but trying to defend such poor practice makes that person just as bad as the perpetrator.

Wow! I was about to create my New Member Introduction and I saw this new thread. I joined a couple of nights ago just before this discussion appears to have started. Having read through the thread I think the big boys don't pull their punches in the playground. My perception is that things can get a bit acrimonious to say the least. I will err on the side of caution and say nothing other than how this new member feels reading posts that appear to insult, demean and show complete disrespect to other beekeepers.... I made a mistake joining!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back