Basic ling honey press

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfazer

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have an out apiary on the edge of some heather, so I have about 2 supers of ling. I have 4 others that were already part filled with earlier nectar from the rosebay and bramble etc. They weren't completely filled and sealed so I just left them on during the ling flow. I'm hoping they will spin out reasonably well as a mixed harvest.

Anyway, for the first time I have frames of ling that and I want extract it. Very few are completely sealed so I can only take some of it as cut comb. I've run the dehumidifier for a few days and then hope to press the rest of it out. (correct me if this is flawed logic)

I'm aware of a couple of types of press but don't want to commit to buying or building one this year.

So my question....Does anyone have any nice easy, cheap, DIY, methods for pressing a few frames? Maybe with kitchen utensils or similar.

The only thing that comes to mind is to crush, warm and strain in a warm room. Not efficient really but with out spending money realistically about all you can do.

PH

Crush as much as you can, buy a 'jelly bag'

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RITCHIES-Large-Nylon-Straining-Bag-Fine-Home-Brew-Beer-W

or obtain some fine net curtain.

Put the crushed comb into the bag and put the bag into a colander over another vessel, put a heavy weight on top of the bag in the colander and stick it all in a warm place - airing cupboard or a warming cabinet if you have one.

It's surprising how much will come out under a few pounds of pressure - will take a while.

If you are at all DIY capable you can make your own press from a few scraps of timber and a car jack ...

Lots of designs on the internet - start here:

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?img...ved=0ahUKEwjl3vma5KfWAhWBmLQKHT6dC8oQ9QEIKjAA

Thanks for the feedback. The net bag and colander sounds good. I'm pretty handy at making things but I'm just too busy with work at the minute.

In my head at least, it involves stainless steel and a long lever with hanging gym weights so I can walk away and let gravity do the work.
Maybe for next year.

Thanks for the feedback. The net bag and colander sounds good. I'm pretty handy at making things but I'm just too busy with work at the minute.

In my head at least, it involves stainless steel and a long lever with hanging gym weights so I can walk away and let gravity do the work.
Maybe for next year.

Next year ? Or possibly this year ... Think Hydraulic car jack ... a couple of pumps of the handle every time you pass it and you can exert TONNES of pressure - far more than gravity and weights. A food grade plastic tub for the container with holes drilled around the the bottom edge for the honey to run out and line it with fine nylon net curtain (a couple of quid a metre from the likes of Dunelm) so only the honey gets through. A disc cut from a beech worktop to go on the top of the comb you want to press and a frame for the jack to press against ... You'll need a few spacer blocks so that you can keep the jack above the rim of the bucket. I reckong half an hour in the workshop would do it - and you can even bolt it together so it dismantles and stores flat ... KISS principle..

I made a cider press this way ... works a treat. Make sure the beam the jack presses against is a good solid one - I broke the first 2 x 4 I used pressing apples and have now reinforced it with a flat piece of steel bar.

I think you have convinced me pargyle! I have already got everything on your list (which is more than I can say for my own idea), so hope to give it a go.

Got me thinking about what I can do with my Katy apple harvest too. Biggest yield I've ever had and they seem to be a variety that don't store too well.

Buy a cheap fruit press. Will do heather honey and apples. £40 will get you a basic one...just ebay fruit press. Lots of them available, price depends on size needed.

I think you have convinced me pargyle! I have already got everything on your list (which is more than I can say for my own idea), so hope to give it a go.

Got me thinking about what I can do with my Katy apple harvest too. Biggest yield I've ever had and they seem to be a variety that don't store too well.

You will be amazed at how many uses you find for it once you have one ! Apple juice made yourself and drunk fresh is lovely and cider is really easy to make ...

Go for it ... Sunday morning job !

Good post guys, just taken my Bees off the Heather and also after a Holiday in Cornwall and Dorset have become a "Real" Cider convert, had a crackin one cloudy naturally carbonated think it was called Addlestones.

About to plant and Orchard.... the future I can see con taining Homemade Real Cider !! ����

Latest posts

Back