Ban on re-using jam jars

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the jars where made of a better quality glass, a mark to say it's a honey jar in bedded into the glass and a deposit put on them then they would not get contaminated with turps and who knows what as customers would return them.

You have no knowledge of what could have been put in the jars before being returned to you.

I make a chilli jam it goes into honey jars when emptied the jars get washed out in dishwasher. They are left on a rack and marked and stored without lids on. They still smell of chilli a year after being empty, so the glass must have absorbed some of the contents.

a mark to say it's a honey jar in bedded into the glass and a deposit put on them then they would not get contaminated with turps and who knows what as customers would return them.

Bear in mind the 1lb, 12oz and 8oz 'classic' honey jars are just that - jars designed and manufactured specifically for honey. I can guarantee it's not stopped them having turps etc. put in them...

You have no knowledge of what could have been put in the jars before being returned to you.

I make a chilli jam it goes into honey jars when emptied the jars get washed out in dishwasher. They are left on a rack and marked and stored without lids on. They still smell of chilli a year after being empty, so the glass must have absorbed some of the contents.
Very true but if they were made of a better quality glass jar would they still smell, i don't know but Germany seems to still recycle glass !

You could always apply the shnozzle to each jar and reject the chilli flavoured ones. I'm all for recycling and on the smaller scale such as myself its viable to reuse.

The chilli jars are marked and only used for my own use.
Re using for your own use is no problem.

Beer bottles in Germany get reused, so how do they get them clean after someone has used one for a portable urinal :puke:

It must be down to the quality of glass used, as they are pressurised containers.

Beer bottles in Germany get reused, so how do they get them clean after someone has used one for a portable urinal :puke:

I don't think the Germans or especially the French are that bashful that they will bother with that kind of faffing. Its stop and go - wherever that may be!:eek:

I don't think the Germans or especially the French are that bashful that they will bother with that kind of faffing. Its stop and go - wherever that may be!:eek:
I'v seen a french man on a motor bike not stopping and going

professional cyclests do that all the time.

Latest posts

Back