Bald brood (not from wax moth)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd101k2000

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have a swarm from a fortnight ago. There is now brood in all stages (on foundation that they drew themselves).

There is clearly a fair bit of bald brood (10 to 15%).

So, after a bit of thinking - must have been a prime swarm (as BIAS already), so the queen is the mother of the workers.
Drawn foundation, so bald brood unlikely to be from wax moth.
Strangely, the bald brood is in lines (but not along the foundation wires).

From what I have read, the best course of action is a re-queen.
I really do not want a honey harvest this year from this lot and my coffers are empty and I do not seem to be able to give away colonies this year (any one noticed any swarms this year???).

If I squished the queen would a daughter's brood be likely to have the same problem?

Bald brood in lines is a pretty good indication of Wax Moth.

Did you thoroughly scorch the hive and frames before hiving the swarm? Otherwise, no reason to think that the presence of foundation rules out Wax Moths!

It's a poly nucleus, so did not scorch ;-0
The frames and foundation were brand new.
I'll have another look in a week or two. Other than the bald brood, they seem to be doing fine... possibly a bit runny.

My other 'alien' swarm was a cast, so only eggs at the moment... that one would allow me to go into the wholesale production of propolis. In a fortnight they have gathered more than my other colonies have in a year.

Makes me realise how good the swarms, splits and bees are from my own colonies. I was hoping to get in some different blood, so I didn't end up with in-breeding. Having seen this shower, I'm not so sure!

It's a poly nucleus, so did not scorch ;-0
The frames and foundation were brand new.
I'll have another look in a week or two. Other than the bald brood, they seem to be doing fine... possibly a bit runny.

You don't say how you did sanitise the polynuc.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that wax moths aren't interested in poly …

I have a nasty suspicion that they caught me at a bad moment... Had just hived one of my own and got a swarm call same day... Mmmm. Intention was to wash them with washing soda. Road to hell is paved with... and all that.

I have had one colony in my apiary that keeps about 10% bald brood for several years now, even though the current queen is a granddaughter of the original one. I'm pretty certain that there's a genetic problem that's been passed down.

I plan to get rid of the queen, because even if the next-generation queen doesn't have the same problem, it might pop up again in future generations. Also, any drones that are raised will spread the genetic defect around.

Hi jd,
For future reference on how to sanitise poly - one part hypochlorite bleach to five parts water, dip for 20 minutes. I scrub gently with an old washing up brush too.
I also, have bees (three casts united) with the same problem. It turned out to be chalk brood which is supposedly common in early spring in swarm with not enough nurse bees. Brood pattern much better now.

Check the label for the % of hypochlorite in the 'bleach' before diluting it, the cheaper ones are quite weak. You need to make a 0.5% hypochlorite solution.

https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/beebase/downloadDocument.cfm?id=423

Quote:
Brood boxes, supers and other beekeeping equipment can be effectively sterilised using disinfectants containing hypochlorite. Sodium hypochlorite is present at a concentration of about 3% in household bleach. Research has shown that immersion for twenty minutes in a solution of 0.5% sodium hypochlorite kills AFB spores and other bacteria. In this case you therefore need to make a solution of one part household bleach to five parts water.​

Latest posts

Back