bait hive with a fish poly box

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fox403

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
ok header says it all i am going down the line of makeing few poly fish transport boxs which i can get in a few sizes all free,,think these will be ideal as very light weight,have a removeable lids,think il go for a size thats as close to a brood-box as poss only thing i need work out is how to attach sum wood frames along top edge so as to hang the 14x12 frames,,anyone used a fish box ?

Their is some photos of a mbc langstroth jumbo poly nuc converted into a 14 x12 some where on the forum if you search for them it might give you some ideas

I would have put a link in link other people do but dont know how to sorry

poly bait hive

you don't use batons but instead use appropriate sized wooden sheets stuck to the inner end walls with glue/sealant.

you don't use batons but instead use appropriate sized wooden sheets stuck to the inner end walls with glue/sealant.

ditto -- it works quite well until magpies decide to attack it, squirrels pull off the lid ( despite Duck Tape !!) , wasps set up home, local cat uses it as a sunbathing spot........

Tried 4 last year, 1 swarm gained and one bounced ( went in one day, came out the following )

2 boxes survived in good enough condition to use again this year.

Good luck

try sum thin wire at all ends to hold lid on, found the photos cheers johnandyrob this is for short term use have a few trees in mind were i will strap it to

Latest posts

Back