Badgers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have badgers in our field the main problem I find is they dig holes all over the place. I've never had any problems with them raiding the hives.

Badgers have been known to attack beehives for the grubs... It seems to be a learnt behaviour and poly hives are more susceptible. One of my out apiaries is right beside a large badger sett. I wasn't prepared to risk it when I first moved in so set up a solar charged electric fence to teach them that the hives were out of bounds. Never had a problem in 3 years.

never had them damage hives before and a couple of sites right next to sets. They have had a go at apideas though, guess there a bit like a bumble nest:hairpull:

On the eve of starting to set up an out-apiary a thought crosses my mind, do badgers raid beehives?

Yep, they could knock hives over to get at grubs. Had this on one of my out apiaries and had to use electric wire to deter them. Didn’t take long for them to stop, not had a problem since even with fencing down
S

Further to my question about badgers I find today that there are deer in the area, let's hope there are no wild boar or giraffes there!!

I have badge problems at two apiarys, recently managed to get a super off one and ate the lot.

Very keen badger as even with sheep netting they manage to get under.

I have badge problems at two apiarys, recently managed to get a super off one and ate the lot.

Very keen badger as even with sheep netting they manage to get under.

As part of my work, I have to move badgers under licence. If you want to deter them use electric wire, netting will not work as their fir is too dense to allow contact.
S

This last couple of weeks they've been going for my polynucs. Knocked them over and dragged about by the strap but didn't get in.
Nucs now wedged in with spare boxes, logs and weighted with concrete blocks.

Is this time of year the new (youngster) badger's territory establishment period?: Seen an unusual amount of dead road kill badgers in the last month.

This last couple of weeks they've been going for my polynucs. Knocked them over and dragged about by the strap but didn't get in.
Nucs now wedged in with spare boxes, logs and weighted with concrete blocks.

They will be back and concrete blocks will not stop them. measures need taking.

My hive stands are weighted down, and the hives (all polystyrene) strapped to the stands. I’ve often seen badger claw marks and bite marks - but they’ve never managed to get in.

My hive stands are weighted down, and the hives (all polystyrene) strapped to the stands. I’ve often seen badger claw marks and bite marks - but they’ve never managed to get in.

Have you seen the strength of a Badgers jaw. i have and a poly hive is no test for them, if they want to be in a poly hive is history..:spy:

I’ve seen a galvanised wire rabbit trap folded in two by a badger to get at the tasty bit of fresh meat inside. If they know there is food there, they will get into a hive. Think weasel the size of a medium size dog but much more muscular.
They are stubborn creatures and pretty fearless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Back